1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating 30s/40s Coat & Id'ing Fur Type

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

I'm wondering what you're best guess is for the date of this coat. I'm guessing it dates from the 30s or 40s, based on the look of it plus the soft shoulder pads, wide pointed collar, the soft pleating on the top, princess seams at the back, but there are no labels to help pinpoint it. It's 43.5 inches long. I'm also wondering what kind of fur it is - it doesn't feel oily like mink, and it's not bushy like fox. It's very soft and medium-fine to the touch. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts! Best regards, Jenny 40s fur collar 6.JPG 40s fur collar 2.JPG 40s fur collar 3.JPG 40s fur collar 5.JPG 40s fur collar 13.JPG

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Jenny, Beautiful coat. The coat looks 40s to me and the fur is Russian squirrel.

Jennifer Kietzman likes this.
  3. Jennifer Kietzman

Hi Caryn,

Thanks for your reply, and the info re the fur! It is a pretty coat, and in great shape. I love the quilted and embroidered lining. Do you happen to know whether the "pattern" on the fur is natural, or has the fur been dyed or treated in some way?

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi again Jenny, Yes. The fur was dyed to look either more like mink fur or sable fur which both sometimes have distinctive darker shading in the center of each pelt.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Jennifer Kietzman

Many thanks, Caryn!

7. Jennifer Kietzman

:) I wish it fit me!