1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trifari Nicki & Ticki Ballerina Pins

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by FLO'S FINDS, Mar 18, 2017.

1. FLO'S FINDS

FLO'S FINDS Registered Guest

Hi, I am very new to this. I've inherited 7 suitcases FULL of my mother-in-law's costume jewelry. It's crazy. I've attached pictures of what I think is Nicki & Ticki, but they are not signed and I know Trifari always signed their jewelry. Are you able to help?

Attached Files:

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Seven Suitcases? Holy Moly. A number of VFG members really know their jewelry, so hopefully they can give suggestions.

3. FLO'S FINDS

Yes, it has been a daunting task. She has been gone 6 years now and I've only just begun. It's a gold mine if you know what you are doing, it's intimidating and time consuming when you don't. Am learning though...hope someone can shed some light on these pins as they certainly do look like Alfred Philippe's ballerinas, but no signature on either. :(

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Seven suitcases? Wow :drooling22:

They are adorable scatter pins, and you're right -- they appear to be based on the Nicki and Ticki design, but these are knock-offs.

Just as an FYI, there is a lot of unsigned Trifari, especially the earlier pieces and the later ones that only carried a hang tag. What else is in those cases? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

These just might be Boucher.

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Laura that they are knock-oofs. They are probably "period" knock-offs meaning they were done around the same time as the original 1949 pieces. Most Trifari from this time period is signed but there are a few pieces that have snuck through - especially if they were sets. Usually you can recognize authentic pieces that are not signed because Trifari used a certain catch or pinstem or earring back.

Six suitcases - WOW!

7. FLO'S FINDS

No, SEVEN suitcases. Unfortunately, she was a hoarder in the true sense of the word. Fortunately, she knew what she was hoarding. I could tell you horror stories of the SEVEN estate sales we handled ourselves at the house. Took us 9 weeks to go through it all and prep. Lots of cool stuff, but when we began there was just a narrow path to walk through the house. We took all the jewelry home as we know what happens to that during estate sales. I've only just now begun to go through it all. Lots of cool stuff, but I'm not a collector. I had one woman offer me $700 for the 7 suitcases, but I turned her down. I've made more than that with just 2 of the suitcases. I just got $76 for a Hattie Carnegie monkey pin. The reseller will probably get more for it, but that's OK. I'm not trying to be greedy, but I don't want to be stupid either. So I will advertise these little ballerinas as knock offs and see what happens. I certainly don't want to false advertise. Thank you all for your expertise! Much appreciated.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Seven - even better! Please feel free to ask questions about the pieces so that when you sell them you are as knowledgeable as possible. It's ok (with me) to show a few pieces at a time but be sure to get close enough - and always show the back and any marks.

Good luck!

9. FLO'S FINDS

Thank you Linn. As I press on, I will do just that. I have a pin that I can't even read what the signature mark is. I'll see if I can get a decent photo of it. Thanks again.

10. FLO'S FINDS

Hi everyone once again. Can anyone tell me what this maker's mark is? I thought it was Uncas, but the arrow is facing the other way. When my husband looked at it, he said he's not even sure it's a "U". Help! I hope you can see the photo OK, it was the best I could do with my camera. Thanks.

Attached Files: