1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trends Of The Mid-1960s workshop

Discussion in 'Trends of the mid 1960s 2005 By PremierLudwig' started by premierludwig, Jul 19, 2005.

1. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

Lizzie, that dress is superb!

1 - perfect cutout
    2 - entirely in black
    3 - the overlap over the chest area is cut into a geometric design.

PERFECT!

Insanely jealous. If you find it's twin sister, throw it in my direction! LOL!

...and yes, the workshop that would not die... I did wonder when I was putting together the content off the workshop if maybe I wasn't including enough categories to get a discussion going... wondered if I'd been a bit sparce. Well obviously not! :)

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

2. premierludwig

Woohoo! it's letting me post again! For the past few days everytime I tried to post I got an error message. I think this board had had quite enough of me after the workshop and was politely telling me to get lost. LOL!

I can say all the things I've been wanting to say now...

Jonathan - those shoes are divine! Far too girly and sophisticated to be mod wear (unless worn by a deeply stylish first rate modette who was doing her own thing... they don't have female Faces, which is deeply irritating.) They are perfect examples of that era's shoes though... and how any female, modette or not, could resist those shoes I have no idea.

3. premierludwig

Chris - the 80s gets really entwined with the mod scene in England. There was a major mod revival going on in the early 80s that happened as a reaction to the group The Jamm, the Quadrophenia film (which is irritatingly inacurate. Remind me to go yell at Daltrey and Townshend about that, they should have known better! Lesley Ash's hair really winds me up in that film, it is so *wrong*! ...but Toyah's look is good), the whole ska/twotone/rudeboy thing... and the youth themselves beginning to rebel against punk by going super smart and finsing mod was the best way to do it.

Another major thing the entwined the 60s and the 80s in the mod scene was the whole Alice In Wonderland scene that Christian Paris created. For those of you who have no idea what I'm going on about, it was a total underground 60s revival scene taking place in clubs, on magical mystery tours, happenings, film shows and a boutique. I am awaiting my first "Planet Alice" item in the post at the moment (deply excited! Have been wanting something Planet Alice for years!!!). That's the name of the boutique that formed part of the whole Alice In Wonderland scene, so I'll do one of my write ups on that (with pictures and bizarrely related facts as usual) very soon and post it in the new label section.

It's bizarre me wanting to get hold of something that was made to immitate the 60s rather than wanting original 1960s, but I have ulterior motives behind this one. The designer for Planet Alice was called Lee Starkey, and she's the daughter of my mod idol Maureen Starkey... oh yeah, and her dad was the drummer in the Beatles... but more importantly she's Maureen's first born daughter!!! YAY! ...told you I was more a fan of Maureen than Pattie.

That keyword spamming you mention is rife. It's amazing how much stuff (60s and completely un-60s) you come up with If you search for "twiggy quant mod go-go". Things that Twiggy would never have worn or designed in a million years. Things quite the opposite of what Mary Quant was doing. Things no mod would be seen dead in. And deffinately not items you could go-go dance in. But some really good stuff does crop up in those searches too, so the mod crowd still search like that.

4. premierludwig

Sandra - I can see the pictures now (hooray!). Now this item is not mod - it's too cute and fluffy and girly. I LOVE IT! ...I'm a naughty modette, every so often I have to freak out and wear something so intencely dollybirdish to a mod club and put my hair in ringlets and do the whole babydoll eyelashes thing just to freak everyone out and feel like the totally feminine me. I'm feeling that I'm getting a little bit too old to be doing this to the extreme now.. but then again over the past couple of weeks I've had two callers to the house who thought I was still a child - a salesman who asked "is your mum or dad in" when I pened the door of my own house that I live in alone and that I own! And a nice Jehova's Witness lady I know who came round to drop the usual literature off who asked if I'd broken up for the school holidays yet!!!

Anyway yes, this super cute and fluffy item of yours. It isn't mod as it's too girly and the materials used are too unruly (fluffy mohair stuff not good at doing crisp clean outlines), *but* it is perfectly of that era. The stripes, the shape, the colour... and there were a lot of mohair knitting patterns around then (some of them modelled by Pattie, so I'm guessing lots of people would have worn them) so I reckon that would have been a deeply popular item in 1965.

Again.. Italian... yummy! :)

And I'm glad you found the workshop useful so quickly, that you could use it in one of your listings already! wow!

5. premierludwig

Kristine - that italian dress is perfect. It *may* be considered a little long by some, but for the top modettes the mini wasn't always the way to go. It's super smart, super stripey, totally monochrome, the perfect shape... and it's Italian! Fabulous dress, love it!

Gail - Sorry about the photo epedimic, but they do look very pretty once they've all loaded. :) I did go a bit crazy with the pictures, but I think illustrations help when discussing such a visual topic... and it seems everyone else has gone picture crazy too, must be catching!

6. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Oh, yes....I love all the photos!! :bouncy:

I may even have one to add myself. ;)

Gail

7. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Senti, I have thorughly enjoyed every bit of this.

One question still burns in my mind though. American Mod.

We have talked about it numerous times on this forum. When would you consider the american version having ended? In your mind does it hang on into the early 70s? In middle america mod in a way it did go on for longer before it gave way to something new. Or was mod only considered that initial bold statement for you, and then anything else was just Using elements. Or what exactly would you call that look up through 1972?

8. premierludwig

American mod doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense to me as the ideals of it don't register in my head... it's a bit like when American friends of mine start going on about "British Invasion Music". I can not get my head round what British Invasion Music is cos I'm British and we didn't invade ourselves with our own music, it was always just sort of there. I just have to keep reminding myself which British bands broke bigtime in the US in the sixties, and cling to that as British Invasion Music, and I'm learning all the time (Apparently the Searchers and the Kinks are in, but the Small Faces aren't).

American mod is very much the same as in the 1960s it seemed to be all about copying the British style. In the 60s American mod was very much about bright colours, geometric clothing... all Mary Quant, Foale and Tuffin, Twiggy and clothes that emulated their look. American mod seemed to die out when the styles Britain was producing changed from brand new far out fashions to a retro look. Granny Takes A Trip was out, Biba was out as soon as it went all Edwardian, the Bonnie and Clyde look was out, Ossie Clark's long floaty blatantly-female (not neccesarily feminine, but clothes that emphasised the fact that the wearer was a woman) clothes were out.

So the influences that created American mod died in 1968, but the stryle itself like you said was still going up until 1972 when certain people were still copying that old British style. It was still hip to look like The Beatles... but you wanted to be fun, bright, smart party-life Beatles, not strange bearded long haired Beatles who hung out in the country raising their kids and didn't care what the latest London fashions were.

Psychedelic hippie fashions were also American Mod so long as they were what I know as the "Kings Road Hippie" style. None of this spaced out, flowers in your hair, decaying vintage fabrics and slightly beat up jeans with pretty patches all over them. The Kings Road Hippie look is the posh London crowd trying to emulate that in a more stylish way (they didn't get the hippie ideals, they just thought the look was quite quirky so they adapted it to suit themselves and their own needs), so it's indian embroidery, velvet, satin and silk combined with fabulous tailoring that ensures the cut of the outfit is deeply flattering. Sort of like Edwardian smartness but with psychedelic colours. Again American mods were trying to emulate people like Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithful.

And nowadays the American mods have frozen their moment in time just like the British mods. British mods want to pretend they're with the cool, smart in-crowd of London and Brighton in 1965... whereas the American mods want to be the cool ones who know all about what sort of clothing Mick Jagger wore during the creation of a certain album, how John Lennon dressed, what Pattie Boyd wore when she was a newly wed, all that sort of thing. Both groups are copying a certain crowd in the 1960s, it's just a different crowd and a different time period... 1965 and 1966 just being the overlap between the two.

Hope that helps. It's quite difficult to expain American mod versus British mod without taking you to mod clubs in both countries and explaining what each person there is trying to re-create.

9. Great workshop! Very informative. Thanks for including the historical context - you mentioned that 60s youths were born when wartime rationing was still in effect. So the mod fashions were worn by tall skinny people. I love to learn how fashion has been influenced by world events.

I was in my single-digit years during the mod era. I remember that I had a pair of white go-go boots that I loved. I was so distraught when I outgrew them.

carol