1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Making Midnight Cowboy Joe Buck Costume

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Midnight Cowboy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Registered Guest

Looking to match his outfit as close as possible. I'll show you the pictures I'm trying to find.

Hyer Cowboy Boots with the golden star?

[​IMG]

Green Shirt with Yellow Stars?

[​IMG]

Genuine Leather Fringe Cowboy Jacket With fringe going over shoulder. Needs to fit me so a size medium. Large is pushing it. Found one that looked exactly like it but it's $150 way out of my budget. The most I can spend on this jacket is $70

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

2. Gosh, $150 is pretty good for that jacket - they generally go for a lot more than that around here.

My advice on the first two is you might have trouble finding the exact pieces as they were likely made especially for the film, but you could attach appliques/gold pieces to a green shirt and boots and that way create the look.

I hope you find what you're looking for within your budget.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i agree with nicole. the easiest to reproduce would be the green shirt, with appliqués. there's nothing otherwise unusual about it. likewise the boots. it's not easy to find a vintage fringed leather jacket, so the price doesn't at all surprise me. perhaps you could find one that's not in very good condition for less, that would still give you the look.

4. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I agree with Nicole as well- and I would spend the money on the Fringed jacket- as that's the most important part of that look really- and find a less expensive shirt and boots to embellish.
    Such a cool look- but such a brilliant but sad movie.

5. Midnight Cowboy

Right!, you guys convinced me to buy the new leather jacket. It's actually not vintage but made to look that way, real leather. Scored this one on sale for $100 designed by Red Ranch

[​IMG]

Managed to score these Tony Lama boots made in the good old U.S.A. on eBay for $60. Couldn't find ones with stars as you said probably mace for the movie. It was hard enough trying to find size 12 boots.

[​IMG]
    Now, found the perfect Vintage Stetson Revenger hat that looks just like it. Only problem is wow their expensive. $120. Anybody know a website that sells good cheap cowboy hats? Of coarse, you get what you pay for.

[​IMG]
    Good idea. Might as well hot glue gunning the yellow stars onto the shirt. Seeing it will be covered by the leather jacket not too too concerned about it. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. sewingmachinegirl

HI Ben- I love the Jacket, Hat and Boots- bravo!. The hat is worth the bucks- truly.
    But I wouldn't be hot glue gunning those stars on- you are going to have to wash that shirt at some stage. If you cant sew at all sewingmachineemoti- I would consider maybe safety pinning them on from the back so you can take them off to wash? OR use double sided tape with a safety pin in the centre just in case the tape doesn't hold enough.
    Can you post a pic of you wearing it when you have it all together?

7. Midnight Cowboy

Guess I'll sew em! Definitely will post a pic. Just hope everything arrives on time! The yellow horse shoe patch on the green shirt what size would you say that is. Is 4 inches too small?

Also the fringes on the leather jacket are a little long compared to Joe's so I figure to just fold them in half and tape em. Don't want to cut them and ruin a perfectly good jacket.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  8. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

the horseshoe patches look to be about 3 inches.

it's great you've been able to find everything! you're going to have a killer joe buck costume, and i'd love to see photos too, when you're done.

9. sewingmachinegirl

Ben I agree with Joan- about 3 inches for the horseshoe patches.
    And I would take a deep breath and just ( carefully) cut the fringing- it will hang better if it's not taped that's all- and look more like the real deal as well.:)

10. Midnight Cowboy

haha, lot of work. Pictures coming soon!

cotmyey likes this.
  11. sewingmachinegirl

I hope we can see those photos soon Ben :)- is it going okay?

12. Midnight Cowboy

Okay, Making a promise pictures going up tonight. I have to say don't know how I did it but it turned out way better than expected. Took a lot of work but it was worth it! I will continue to perfect it.

13. sewingmachinegirl

Yeah Ben- good for you, I cant wait to see the pics! :clapping:

14. Midnight Cowboy

Okay, what you've all been waiting for. Finally got around to writing all of this. I can definitely say it turned out way better than I thought it would. Sure its missing a few things but the great part is I can continue to work on it. Don't know how it happened but pulled this together in less than 8 days! Still room for improvement but very happy with how it turned out. Where do I start?

Leather Fringe Jacket

Okay, this ones the biggie. Was afraid the jacket wasn't going to arrive on time. Well, it did but I just couldn't use it. One it was way too big being a Large & the color was way off. I didn't panic, simply just knew I had to return it and find another one. I'd say their were about 3 days left till the 31st at this point. It was a stroke of luck I found this. On eBay for $80 this medium sized jacket a way more accurate color.

[​IMG]

Black Stetson Hat

As much as I wanted the hat above it was $120 and my funds were dwindling. I found the near perfect shaped stetson for $50. Only probably is it was an auburn color of a sort. It was a beautiful hat at that made out of Beaver felt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought it anyways but what was I going to do. Well, I attempted wrapping black fabric around the hat, no luck!​

[​IMG]

This left me with only one option left. Now, all of you are probably going to kill me on here for ruining such a great hat but alas I decided to spray paint it black. It gives it sort of a rustic look if you ask me.

[​IMG]

Green Shirt

For the green shirt I went to a local JC Penney. Yes the buttons are black not white, no I did not get to applying the horse shoes or stars on the shoulders but that was going to be covered anyways by the jacket. I did manage to iron on two stars onto the collar. A little big but worked good. If your wondering, its a Van Heusen No-Iron Poplin Fitted Dress Shirt.​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cow Pattern Briefcase

How could we forget the iconic cow briefcase when Joe Buck walks out of his apartment. This had to be a part of my costume to really make it worth it.

[​IMG]

eBay really just has everything. Found this old, beat up metal briefcase from the 1930's I presume.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now, where on earth was I going to get cow pattern. Well I tried ordering it online. Big mistake. When it came in the mail it was no where near the size of a real cow. Their was only one day left So I decided to check out my local Joanne Fabrics. To my surprise they had just what I was looking for. Perfect Timing!​

[​IMG]

I worked tirelessly into the night to try to get this briefcase done. I'd say this was probably the most work out of the whole costume. I finished at around 5am October 31st.​

[​IMG]

Finally after 8 days all the hard worked payed off! Again, still room for improvement but I think this was really something for the deadline I had. Glad I could finally share this with you. Oh and don't mind the sad look in the photos. Just acting ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things I Can Improve On
    • Get a cowboy belt with buckle
    • Finish designs on shoulders
    • Find Tighter Cowboy Pants
    • Get an actual Black Stetson Hat
    • Add musical note to one of the cow patterns on briefcase
    • Find a blonde wig that fits

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  15. Well done Ben! You've done really well on a tight timeline and budget - kudos for the cow skin suitcase. It really makes the outfit.

Midnight Cowboy likes this.
  16. Midnight Cowboy

Thank You! Haha, now I think I better catch some shut eye. 4AM here!

17. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I love the attention to detail. Great job.

18. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great job...it all came together very well for you in the end even with the ordering mishaps.

As you ran across some sizing glitches, just a tip when ordering online you really need to pay attention to the measurements. Perhaps you had but the seller was giving incorrect info...in any case if you own a cloth measuring tape, measure a garment you own that already fits you well and compare to the measurements given. It really helps a lot.

Thank you again for sharing the details of your "costume" preparation with us, it was fun to see how you managed in a short timeframe at that!

19. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

What a fabulous job and it was delightful to see the pictures!

20. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Bravo, a man with a mission accomplished. I wonder how many recognized it immediately?