1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating a two piece outfit?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by maltby, May 28, 2015.

1. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

Hi

this set is handmade, I included pics of the buttons and button holes. The zipper is nylon. The pants are lined about halfway down (pic included of lining) and I know basically nothing else about it. Does anyone have any ideas about age? I just thought it was pretty and fun. argh and the main pic is blurry. Thats what I get for 6 am photos I guess

thanks! buttons.JPG lining.JPG buttons.JPG lining.JPG pants.JPG pic1.JPG side.JPG

2. Interesting set: my vote is for '60s.

3. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

60s sounds good, what do you think it would have been worn for? I just wonder if it's like for work wear or hostess-ing or lounging around? It seems too fancy for lounging but too informal I would think for working

4. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Reminds me of something Lanvin would make?

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Going out for drinks?

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I see this as 1960s also, right around 1966, with those wide legged pants and the bold stripes. I agree it could be a hostess outfit for entertaining at home, but can see it worn for cocktails as a guest at a party or going out for drinks.

Are the pants straight cut, or do they have a flare? How wide are they at the hem? What is the measurement of the rise on the pants? On your mannequin they appear to sit below the belly button, but I wonder if they are supposed to sit at the natural waist. That might help to narrow down a date.

It is really a great outfit.

7. maltby

maltby Registered Guest

the pants are very wide leg (19" across the cuff) with not much of a flare, measured around the knee they're 15". The rise measures 13.5" and I wasn't sure of where to seat them on the mannequin, lower or higher on the waist but maybe the rise helps to answer that!