1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missed chance...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Jason_H, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Registered Guest

Hello to all,

I signed up here today looking for a specific item my wife saw for sale on Etsy, but missed the chance to buy. I'm hoping it may look familiar to someone here and I can be pointed in the right direction. I have inserted a picture of the item below. It was listed as a Batik/Wrap style skirt. She is look for this specific pattern and I have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you all.

Attached Files:

2. Hi Jason, and welcome to the forums.

It's a bit hard to tell from that small photo but I think it might be a screen printed design, rather than Batik. Do you have any more photos to share? The more information you can provide, the better. For example, do you know how old it is? What label? It looks like a whale print but I can't be sure. Do you know if it's vintage or something modern and handmade?

I'm sorry to hear that your wife missed out on the Etsy sale: it seems like an obvious question, but has she contacted the seller to see if there might be one available? Sometimes items are withdrawn for non-sale reasons, or perhaps she might have another (it's a long shot but you never know, sometimes someone will have more than one, or two in different colourways. I'm often surprised how much this happens).

Good luck, I hope you find it.

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Registered Guest

It is a dolphin print and says I am Playful as a Porpoise on it. The dolphin's are wearing what looks to me like little Fez(sp?) hats. The original ad on Etsy showed vintage 1970's. The seller did sale the item. She said she does not know any of the label information. I'm adding the only other picture I can find, but it's not much better. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you. batik2.jpg

4. I found the Etsy listing with more information and photos - it looks like a late '70s-early '80s Indian cotton skirt. I think you'd be very lucky to find another as it's an unusual print. The skirt design is common, but they usually have more traditional prints.

If you're super keen you could probably reconstruct the print design, make a pattern repeat and upload into a site like Spoonflower that will print out fabric for you and you can get one made, but that's a lot of work.

Jasmin Key likes this.
  5. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I'm no help but that is SO CUTE!

6. Jason_H

Jason_H Registered Guest

Thank you all so much!!!!