1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips for removing stains from cashmere?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jen S, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

I am experienced in carefully hand washing and drying flat vintage cashmere. But I have a lovely sweater with some yellowish stains that did not come out using mild soap and cool water. Does anyone have any recommendations for a stain removing product for cashmere? Or another method? Thank you so much!

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Do you think the yellowish stains are from food, cosmetics, or are they underarm? Knowing or guessing the stain's origin may affect how to help reduce them.
    Marian

3. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Hi Marian,
    I don't know, but they are not underarm. I would guess maybe cosmetics or perfume, since the sweater smells of perfume, and one of the stains is on the back collar area. Thanks.

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

You might try Folex. I found it at Lowe's. It is supposed to be a carpet cleaner but I (and other vintage lovers) have found it very effective in removing old stains on fabric. Since many carpets have wool in them, I think it would ok to try on your sweater, trying first on the neckline.
    Good luck,
    Marian

5. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Thank you, I'll give it a try!