1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Rose Dress Trade

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Delaney52, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Delaney52

Delaney52 Registered Guest

Hello! I am looking to possibly trade my 1950s vintage dress for another in a larger size. I have the rose print dress pictured, but I would be interested in seeing any full-skirted iteration of a dress in the same print. My dress has a 32" bust and a 25" waist, but I would be looking for a dress with a 36-38" bust and a 26-28" waist. It is the same print as the pictured dress that Carrie Bradshaw wore on Sex and The City.
    carrie dress.jpg IMAG2164.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. Hi Delaney52. Is the dress is a modern or a vintage dress? It might help to know how old it is.

3. Delaney52

Hi! Oh, sorry, it seems I forgot to specify. It's an original 1950s vintage dress.

4. Thank you - good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for. It's a lovely dress.

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but it looks like a style that wouldn't be hard to adjust in size. Could it be altered to fit? Finding sixty year old dresses in different sizes is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  5. Delaney52

Thank you :) I'm definitely considering alteration, but I figured I would try my luck here first; even if it's a long shot. The dress doesn't have seam allowance, so I would probably take it to a seamstress to have a panel added.

6. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Delaney, Have you tried the facebook selling groups Ooh la la if you are a member. That dress looks very familiar, not sure if it was you who posted it.

7. Delaney52

Hi Carla, unfortunately I don't have a Facebook account or I would be sure to check Ooh La La. I've heard they can be an excellent source. Thank you for the suggestion, though!

8. The skirt is very full: you could take a small piece out of it and add it to the bodice. If you match up the pattern, it will hardly be seen. Gathered, full skirts like this are easy to adjust so you just regather to the desired waist.

9. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Lovely dress! I agree with Nicole that it may be very difficult (if not impossible) to find another true vintage dress in this print. The fact that the background of the print is white tells me that many dresses made from this print will have been irreparably soiled. I would think that the chances of finding a larger size than the extra-small would be even more difficult, as most women are looking for more wearable sizes. It may be your best bet to take the dress to a talented tailor for the necessary alteration. Good luck, either way!

10. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Swoon. I love red rose dresses and this is beautiful.

11. rebeccayoon

rebeccayoon Registered Guest

Hi Delaney52,

Wonder whether you interested to sell me the dress?