1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Fabric - Working on Wedding dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jenny Hayes, May 22, 2016.

1. Jenny Hayes

Jenny Hayes Registered Guest

Hello,
    New here! I have searched all over the internet and feel stuck. I could not find a resource online to ask that is fabric specific, so I am hoping someone here can help? I bought some fabric for my wedding dress. The only info on the bolt was that it was made in France. The employee didn't know anything. I asked a lace vendor that they said it wasn't 'lace'. I think it is polyester. I am trying to dye it a dark-ish blue color and it's been challenging. Anyone know what this fabric is called so I can try to find out fabric content online or maybe buy it in another color? Thank you in advance for any ideas! File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg File_002.jpeg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

3. Jenny Hayes

Jenny Hayes Registered Guest

Thank you for replying.
    I have tried looking it up on the resource page, but I don't even know what to call it? I looked up tulle, lace, netting, flocking...It has some kind of tulle on the back, and it's not traditional lace. I am at a loss.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Can you get some real close ups, of both the front, and the back and we can perhaps help you identify it.

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Really close up photos would definitely help!

My first thought is that it is is a burn-out fabric, and if it is, there would be more than one distinct fiber (the ground plus the slightly raised pattern). If you try doing a thread burn test, you would need to separate these two elements and test them separately.