1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying and dating fur coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I just acquired a Guy Laroche fur coat. I think it's from the 60s or 70s and that it's real blonde mink fur but I was hoping that the experts can weigh in. Also is the lining silk?

As a separate question, while the fur appears to be in amazing condition, the lining has a bunch of stains. Any recommendations on how to clean best?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thank you
    Victoria

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Victoria, That's a beautiful coat. It is mink fur, it looks like it dates to the 80s, and the color looks like pearl mink in your photos.

I see what looks like some staining in the fur next to the lining in your last photo. Some of that might come out with a furrier cleaning if not all.
    On the lining I see some water rings and rust stains. A furrier will not be able to get those types of stains out. Personally I would not be too concerned with the lining though because you don't see spotting inside on the outside when a fur is worn.

Again, beautiful coat. :)

3. Vintagiality

Thank you so much! Never even heard of pearl mink. Just wondering, why do you think it's 80s?

4. peaceful vintage

It is truly a very beautiful style. It's one that I have had quite a bit. The shape of the shoulders and how they round out into the sleeves, the padding and batting used to create that rounded affect, the beautiful line or shape of the coat on the way down, the lining used inside the coat, as well as the label all tell me it's a mink fur coat from the 80s. The color is one of my favorites too.

5. Vintagiality

Thank you! In your experience, does the fact that it has the previous owner's name embroidered detract from its value?

6. peaceful vintage

It does not devalue it at all. The lining being monogrammed is an indication that the fur is genuine as most of the time faux furs are not monogrammed because they do not have value.
    People have their signatures added to their furs for identification purposes. They love them and want their name to be in there but it also tells others that the fur belongs to them.

With that being said when there is a monogram a new owner can take their fur coat to a furrier and get their name covered over the top with an monogrammed patch.