1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Article to SHARE with Y'all

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by bycinbyhand, Sep 24, 2016.

1. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

That's pretty awesome. I mean upon first glance I thought I don't really want people sending me offers. I just want them to buy BUT I do want them to do just that so rather than for them to pass my item by because it's too much for them I would like them to ask if I can take a little less. I may or may not be able to but if I am it's a sale for me and purchase for them.
    I do also price my items a little higher at first to allow some leeway in case someone does make an offer.
    Nicely written. :)

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi Caryn!! You are so supportive and wonderful. Always.

I, too, would rather people not, as my dad calls it, "nickel dick." BUT it seems to be how the world works. The readers at that magazine aren't hugely vintage conscious but curious about vintage and the vintage look so I was asked to write articles for them about it so they WOULD feel more comfortable shopping for vintage. As a writer, I like to open up the discussion. As a seller, I would like shoppers to feel more comfortable asking but much more politely than I have sometimes experienced... and maybe if a shopper knows why the price, they'd be a little better about asking.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking when working on the article.

: ))

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Well stated, Cin. I agree with you there is a way to go about this without badgering. You just have to know what you are willing to pay and if to begin with the price is way out of your comfort zone, either walk away or leave a card so they might reconsider.

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

My dad taught me a lot about business. He's ruthless but SUPER friendly, says there's no harm in asking just HOW. I've watched him all my life and never knew he was teaching me anything. And it goes both ways, seller or buyer.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

I must admit though when someone asks for an over 50% discount for something I have online, I don't take it too well and I honestly don't think I've ever given in to that deep of a discount.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I've had people ask for VERY deep discounts... 80% off was the best. lol I just say, "No we can't accept that offer but thanks," and give them a coupon code for the % off I can do. I don't even get p.o.'d that they offer anymore. It's my merch, y' know?

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

thanks for sharing, Cin! as you say, being respectful is key to the negotiation process. well done!

9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

And you can always say no. I try really hard to let it roll off my back and I really think it's easier when approached courteously. A lot of shoppers do not know what goes into this. A lot of shoppers are uncomfortable asking. I hope an article such as mine helps both sides we get more sales, they get great vintage.

10. poppysvintageclothing

Yes, I do agree, Cin, one does need to reply politely...and I will add in what I can do but I don't think I've ever made the sale with the "deep" discount askers.

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

If I'm going to give such a deep discount, it'll be at one of my semi annual sales (so I draw a lot of traffic to my shop) OR to donate for tax deduction to one of my beloved charities. The "give me 80% off" demands are not the best energy for me... I like puppies and sunshine. lol