1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1930s or 1940s Velvet Cape

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ErikawithaK, Feb 16, 2017.

1. ErikawithaK

ErikawithaK Registered Guest

When do we think this hooded cape is from? I am leaning towards 1930s but I'd love opinions. It is a black velvet with a cream satin lining. There are no sleeves or slash openings but it does have some gathers at the shoulders.

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. Hi ErikawithaK - it looks late '30s to me but is rather short. I would expect it to be full length. Are you able to tell if the hem shows signs of alteration? It's very nice this length.

3. ErikawithaK

I really don't think it was shortened. Most of the bottom edge appears to be original. No signs of alteration. If you can, what makes it late 30s? The sleeves?

4. Hmm. Well, I thought it was likely '30s because of the silhouette, fabric, shoulders, ruched detailing and centre front button as well as the colour combination - but if it was made in this length I think it must be more modern, as they really didn't do short capes in the '30s. Perhaps it is from the '40s or '50s?

5. ErikawithaK

I am still thinking 1930s. One of the things I like to look at are sewing patterns for dating styles and I'm definitely seeing patterns for capes in a similar length from the 1930s. It's nice to use patterns for this purpose because they sometimes have copyright dates. It falls to below the hip on me, does that seem impossible?

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is lovely. I also think it is late 1930s for the reasons that Nicole said, the silhouette, shoulders, and ruched detailing. I have come across a number of 1930s evening capes in this short to mid length. Although the capes and coats with that black velvet & cream lining were usually full length.