1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940's ADRIAN ORIGINAL Suit discovered!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by shesabettie, Apr 2, 2010.

1. shesabettie

shesabettie Registered Guest

1940\'s ADRIAN ORIGINAL Suit discovered!

Hello! I made an amazing discovery at an antiques mall I visited for the first time this morning ... a 1940's Adrian Original suit! I was thrilled only having seen a few photos of this designer's work on the internet. It is very well tailored and in near perfect condition. The only flaw I note is a slight separation of the fabric along the fold of the collar behind the neck. It really cannot be detected and would be an easy mend. It is also a medium and wearable size.

Can anyone provide additional collector information and value? Just curious if this style is desirable and what it's estimated value may be?

Thanks for your help :excited:
    Jenn

2. Hi Jenn, congrats on your wonderful purchase! Do you have any photos? I imagine that value for an Adrian suit would vary depending on style, era, fabric, size and condition.

Nicole

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Wow--what a fabulous find! Yes, please post photos so we can drool. And check the label resource for additional information on the designer. As to estimated value, Nicole is right--much depends on style, era, etc. But any Adrian suit, I imagine, is going to be worth quite a bit, especially if in the condition you describe.

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Since the condition is good, and it is a wearable size, look at the styling. Adrian suits were constructed of many pieces, with the ornamentation and design being in the piecing. The more elaborate, the better. People do not expect a plain suit from Adrian. Color might matter as well, especially to someone who was planning on wearing it.

Photos would be good!

5. sues*stuff

sues*stuff VFG Member

It's not clear to me if the OP actually bought the suit, or is just asking as to whether it is worth buying.

Sue

6. shesabettie

Hi everyone ... I am SO SORRY I left you hanging. I'm not very experienced with the forum and I never received an e-mail saying I had responses so I assumed no one had. Please forgive me! And thank you for responding.

I also had trouble uploading photos of the suit I discovered. And YES, I definitely did purchase it!

The photos are posted to my Facebook account so perhaps you can view them there. Here is a link ...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2060335&id=1166337453&l=f2a96ca5f8

Thanks again for any insight you can provide!

7. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Well, it was worth the wait! What a wonderful find. Could you show us the label? So much information on Adrian Gilbert (1903-1959) and great reference available.

"camera-tailored costumes that set cinematic precedents."

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's stunning and it looks like it's made of cotton, is it?

9. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

It looks like wool to me Mary Jane - and may be the suit described below. Wouldn't that be nice. Paragraph taken from a description of an exhibition held by Ohio State University in 2001-2002;

"Gilbert Adrian, the head of costume at Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) from 1928-1941, is credited with creating the signature looks of both Joan Crawford and Greta Garbo. He nurtured a fashion trend when he used gingham to dress Judy Garland as Dorothy in the 1939 version of The Wizard of Oz and for Katherine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story (1940). Gingham continued to be one of Adrian's favorite fabrics, as illustrated by the exhibition's 1950s Adrian wool gingham suit. The tailored jacket features four different sizes of gingham checks, beginning with small checks across the shoulders and graduating to larger checks in cleverly tucked inserts down the front. It is paired with a midcalf straight skirt in matching, medium-sized checks."

http://costume.osu.edu/exhibitions/fas/

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I LOVE it!!!! Great find.

Linn

11. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Oh my, that is just gorgeous! :adore:

And the description Vertugarde has posted sounds EXACTLY like your suit! (I went back and checked, and there are indeed 4 different sizes of checks, with the largest ones in those incredible inserts).

12. joules

joules VFG Member

You made an amazing find, and it sure seems as if that is the very one described above! Wow!

13. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

Just had to say how impressive the pattern cutting is in this suit. As someone who has tried to match bodice panels up with sleeves panels, i know who tricky this can be. Truly masterful!

And that description is a perfect match!

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

15. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That's a really nice one!

16. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

17. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

:USETHUMBUP: Score!

18. shesabettie

Yowzers! Thank you all so much for your feedback!

I believe the fabric is a very fine and lightweight wool; but of course, it could very well be cotton. It seems to have just the slightest bit of soft texture that suggests wool to me.

Vertugarde - THANKS for the excerpt from Ohio State's exhibition! It sure would be neat if they had the same or similar suit! I will contact them tomorrow and see what else I can find out.

I will take a photo of the label and the one flaw in the neckline, also.

This is BY FAR the best think I've ever been blessed enough to find ... and on Good Friday, too! I wonder how in the world a suit like this made it's into Canton, Mississippi? You NEVER know what's waiting for you! Thank goodness I was familiar with his signature and label.

:soapbox::soapbox::cry:

19. shesabettie

And please IGNORE the random smileys ... didn't realize what I was doing! LOL.

20. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Fantastic score!!! Congrats on such an amazing find!!!

Gail