1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1960's A-line Shirtwaist Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by patsynchatta, Jun 13, 2008.

1. patsynchatta

patsynchatta Registered Guest

1960\'s A-line Shirtwaist Dress

Need Help In Locating The A-line Dress That Was So Very Popular In The Mid 60's. It Had A Peter Pan Collar, Zipped Up Back. Most Were Made Of KettleCloth. They Came With A Ladybug Pin On Collar. Was This A Villager Item?

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

When I think shirtwaist dress, I picture a belted dress that buttons in front and is tailored like a man's shirt.
    Are you thinking of a dress with buttons in front or a plain front?

3. patsynchatta

:sunshine:The Dress Had Front Pleats On The Bodice. Zippered Back. A-Line With A Webbed & Leather Belt. We Always Referred To Them As Ladybug Dresses, Because Of The Small Ladybug Pin On Collar...

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Yes, and the brand name actually was Ladybug. The front was pintucked. I don't remember a zipper in the back, but you may be right.

Villager did a very similar dress, with little one color floral prints on a usually white background. Village even would design prints for a specific market. They did a blue on white to sell to UNC students, and pictured in the print is the Old Well, a Chapel Hill landmark. See the label resource entry:

http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/...section,6/cat,59/task,view/id,329/Itemid,100/

Lizzie

5. patsynchatta

:sunshine:Lizzie Thanks For The Info. I Know That The Dresses That I Owned Usually Had A Beige Background. Is There A Particular Seller Out There That May Have Access To These Dresses? I Have Been Searching A long time..I Have Tried E-bay And Several Vintage Stores On Line.I Am Surprised They Are Not Out There Since They Were So Popular In The 1960's..Maybe I Am Searching Incorrectly.

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Ah, I remember those dresses fondly, too. In fact, I still have some of the ladybug pins upstairs, but the dresses are long gone. Here is an interesting article about Ladybug and Villager:

[​IMG]

Recognize the model on the left?

Lynne

7. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

Ali McGraw?

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Good for you!

MacGraw was probably best known at that time for her role in the weepy film Love Story, with Ryan O'Neal.

Lynne

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a 1967 Frederick MD ad for Ladybug items. I didn't realize they were the junior division of Villager.

[​IMG]

10. patsynchatta

:sunshine:There Is The Dress In The Haber Ad..Now If I Could Only Locate One. Thanks For All The Info

11. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I'm trying to picture the dress you're looking for. Does it look like these dresses on e-bay?

Here

or

Here

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Are you looking for the "very crisp & proper dress" on the left side of the Haber ad, second from the top?
    Lynne

13. patsynchatta

The First One Is Very Close To What I'm Looking For..May Be An Option..As I Would Have To Do So Alterations...Thanks

14. patsynchatta

Lynn, It's The Dress On Right Second From Top At The End Of The Models Left Hand..

15. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

That's a great article! Thanks for posting it. There's great info for the Label resource.

16. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Here is a Ladybug dress on Etsy

17. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Very nice find, Ookoo! I am sure patsynchatta will be thrilled. I scanned the tiny ladybug pins that were sold with the dresses and worn on the collar.
    I can't tell if they were made of painted wood or dense papier mache:

[​IMG]

Lynne

18. patsynchatta

:sunshine:Thank You For The Info. I Quess I Just Don't Know How To Search...

19. patsynchatta

:sunshine:Thank You Lynne For The Pics. I Have 1 Pin I Have Kept All These Years. I Am Not Sure What The Material Is Either. Yes, I Was So Happy To See That Dress On Etsy...1 Quick Question, Since I Am New To This Forum, Is This Just For Clothing Or Could A Question Regarding An Accessory(Handbag) Be Allowed...Thanks Again

20. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Questions about accessories are opften posted here.
    Lynne