1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1960s Van Doren needlepoint sneakers

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin of Frocksley, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I found these sneakers at an estate sale today and am curious about them. From what I've found online, these sneakers are from the 60s, when customers could get custom sneakers made however they like. There's very little I can find, only one collector of vintage Vans blogging about them and a few pairs for sale. If anyone can dig up anything or share thoughts I'd love it, thanks!
    20170217_172527.jpg

2. Robin of Frocksley

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

No help except to say they're GREAT!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  4. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks, Susan! I did find out that the company was very stingy about advertising at first, which explains why I've been unable to find any ads. It's probably a long shot to look for more info, but I'm still super curious. They fit me, but I have no intention of wearing them if they're as uncommon as I'm starting to think they are!

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Perhaps you found this, too, but it looks like the customer selected the needlepoint pattern, did the needlework, then sent the finished needlework to the Van Doren Rubber Company to make the shoes:

IMG_5984.jpg

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

On the Kickz.com website it states: "In 1966 Jim van Doren, Gordy Lee and Serge D''Elia founded the Van Doren Rubber Company" and HERE is an obit for one of the founders, with a bit of history of the company.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  8. Robin of Frocksley

Thank you so much, Lynne!! I hadn't found any of that. You are such a fantastic sleuth. I hadn't realized that the needlework was possibly done by the customer, that is fabulous. It also makes me think dating my sneakers to the 70s is as likely as my original thought that they are from the 60s. Thanks again!!

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's a 70s/80s toe shape, not 60s - they would be more almond shaped if they were 60s.

10. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks, Jonathan! I'll go with 70s then. I am pretty sure they aren't 80s, as the company changed the logos in the 80s and these have the older logos.