1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1980s ? on this Persian Lamb and suede coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Jan 22, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi everyone....any thoughts?
    Thanks alot,
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Whatever you do, Lauren, don't call it Persian lamb when you list...call it curly lamb or karakul or some other lamb fur name. There is a problem using the word "Persian" now.
    I just went through that with a jacket I sold and the problem was with paypal, I was able to rectify it but painful nevertheless.

It looks more 70s to me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    peaceful vintage likes this.
  3. Looks 70s to me and MJ, glad to know that info about not using the word "Persian". Did not know it would be problematic! Thanks for the info.

4. poppysvintageclothing

Yes, there was a thread mentioning a problem on Etsy about it but it appears the problem is everywhere.

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Yep, 70s all the way.

6. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Beautiful coat, Lauren. And another vote for 70s.

7. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks everyone. Good to know...will look into that.

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Just to add... I made a quick search and found references to that furrier in Hanover from the 1930s to the 1980s. The company doesn't seem to be around anymore though.

9. Sheila Dawson

Sheila Dawson Registered Guest

Does anyone have a link to why we can't use the term Persian lamb? Thanks

10. peaceful vintage

The information is listed within the US treasury's OFAC however it is very difficult to navigate through their site.

Items involving Iran which was Persia is on Etsy's prohibited items list.

The reason why is because the US as well as the EU, UK, and other countries do not want to be connected in any way to terrorism.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/prohibited/#Q6

11. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks for that Midge!

12. peaceful vintage

Lauren, It didn't occur to me to tell you that you can also refer to it as Astrakhan or Karakul lamb.

13. Yes, we call it Astrakhan in Australia.

I believe that "Cuban heel" is also a term that should be avoided. It seems that there are those that can't differentiate between style and country of origin.

14. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

When I went to ship some items yesterday I was informed that for any clothing shipped into the US you have to declare country of origin and if there are no tags, they get shipped seperately.

15. poppysvintageclothing

Really, what does that mean, exactly, shipped separately? They get opened up and looked at once they are into the US?

Do you use Canada Post, Lauren? I purchase my stamps online and always include the country of origin on the customs form.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  16. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Cuban heel. Cuban wedding shirt... DON'T DO IT!! I spent a week of my life explain that to Etsy Trust.

17. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

@poppysvintageclothing MaryJane I use ChitChats Express these days and the online forms for ''manifests" now require country of origin for shipping to the States. This service is USPS actually they ship to Niagara Falls and then out to other US destinations. Typically, when I have gone to Canada Post I haven't had to state Country of Origin when shipping to US, but don't know if it's changed there now as well?

18. poppysvintageclothing

Thanks, Lauren. I've always put that in (origin country) but I buy my stamps online through Canada Post.
    I was curious as to how they were going to handle items that did not have a label indicating country of origin, as that often happens with vintage items.

19. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

oops @poppysvintageclothing I forgot to add that in.....the woman told me they would just ship them separately if they did not have a tag and that they 'reserved the right' to open and randomly check all packages. Didn't get alot more than that.