1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20s/30s UK dance halls - a research request

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Trevira, Aug 20, 2007.

1. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Aw, thanks Sarah... :wub:

I didn't realize you were an undergrad--my, you are wise beyond your years!

You are so right about how stylish appearance has served as the great equalizer (thought only death could do that...) in your photo. Something so poignant about that...

Good luck again with your research--you are bringing such a depth of understanding to it, the results are bound to be phenomenal!

2. Trevira

Trevira Registered Guest

My turn to blush! Apologies Carrie, I was an undergrad, but I often still sound like one!

And I'm the wrong side of 40 (just!) :)

Thanks so much for the good wishes, I really appreciate it.

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Well, I'm actually relieved to know you're not a 20 something... I was awed to the point of being spooked by your maturity (I have a perfectly delightful 20 year old, but mature, she ain't!)

4. Trevira

Trevira Registered Guest

Ha ha! Carrie, I was wondering if I'd ever grow up. Maybe I have and I never even noticed!

Thanks to everyone for all the totally engrossing contributions, and for making a newbie feel so welcome! :D

5. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

Hello, not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but i thought i'd scan it anyway, because it's a nice photo. It's from a atricle about scottish dance halls, and if you would like the whole article, i'd be happy to scan the rest of it for you.

The photo features some 1920s dancers in Locarno's ballroom, glasgow, which opened in 1926. So the dancers will be from sometime after that. The small picture below is the outside of the ballroom.

[​IMG]

6. Trevira

Trevira Registered Guest

Rosine, that's PERFECT!!! :clapping::clapping:

I would love to see that article, and if you can scan the rest I would be so grateful.

If its ok, can I email you about this?

7. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

Of course, you can e-mail me (I think) by clicking on the msn messenger sign at the bottom of my post. I'm hoping the links below will make the pages readable, but i can always e-mail you them if it doesn’t...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Trevira

Trevira Registered Guest

Fantastic! Big thanks Rosine, I can read it fine.

There's some great information about Scotland's dance halls that I haven't come across before, and the whole article is an excellent summary of dancing in Britain in the 20th century.

Just one last favour to ask! If I am to be able to use some of this information in my thesis I'll need full publishing details: author's name, year and date of publication, the name of the publication, and the issue number (and volume number, if there is one). I'm presuming this is from a magazine so I won't need the place of publication, although that would be nice too!

That's me all over - take, take, take! ;)

9. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

I'm glad you found the article useful! It's definitely fascinating reading, and I just love those outfits in the 20s photo!

The article if from "Scotland's Story" issue 48, edited by Alex MacLeod, assistant editor Allan Burnett, picture editor, Mark Jardine. It was published in 2000, by first press publishing, which is a division of the Scottish daily record & Sunday mail. There is no individual author listed for the article, but there is a list of consultants: Professor Edward J Cowan, head of Scottish history, university of Glasgow. Prof. Christopher Whatley, head of history, University of Dundee. Ian Nimmo, chairman.

There is a number listed for first press publishing: 0141 309 1400, but as this was seven years ago, I'm not sure if its still in use.

If there's anything else I've missed out, let me know!

10. Trevira

Trevira Registered Guest

Thanks Rosine! That's really kind of you and much appreciated.