1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50's tea length winter wedding gown ***UPDATE***

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by anessa, Aug 10, 2006.

1. anessa

anessa Guest

50\'s tea length winter wedding gown ***UPDATE***

Hi Everyone - I've been searching for the right gown for a long while but can't seem to come up with anything - either on the net or off! So I thoughr maybe I'd post here and see if anyone has anything, or maybe you guys could keep me in mind if you FIND anything!

I'm looking for a 50's wedding gown that is tea length (ballet length), possibly strapless and can be worn in the winter (I'm having a 50s Christmas wedding). It also needs a 30" waist line.

I'm not a huge fan of lace so anything lacy would need to be high quality - not cheapy chantilly stuff. Also somewhat simple is good too.

As far as the bodice well - strapless would be ideal but thin straps or something would be ok too. I'd prefer no long sleeves and maybe no short sleeves either - My arms are one of the few things I like so I wouldn't mind showing them! I know this may sound vague but I'm very open to ideas.

Of course I'm picky, every bride is but i still have lots of time! If you have something like this please email photos to anessa at bustown modern dot com ! Thank you!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Seriously, you might want to try getting a period pattern and having one made for you from white velvet. That length of wedding gown is not common. I know they show them in the bridal magazines of the era but my mother was married in 1952 and she wanted a ballerina length skirt and couldn't find one in she liked, nor barely was able to even find one at all. She looked in Toronto and Vancouver and finally found one in Fredrick and Nelson in Seattle, and they only carried the one style. So, I know from personal history that ballerine length wedding dresses were not common in reality.

3. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I shall have a look for you Anessa!

I have a lovely white velvet one but It has 3/4 sleeves - maybe loking out for wedding dress patterns too would be a good idea so you could consider Jonathan's suggestion. I'll try though, I have rather too many vintage wedding dresses!

4. Hattysattic

Just a little bump for Anessa...

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Hi Anessa, and congrats on your upcoming wedding! I don't have anything in stock, but will keep my eyes open. But I heartily agree that finding a ballerina-length 1950's wedding gown will be very difficult! Perhaps you can find one in a style that would lend itself to being cut down by a seamstress? I would think a simple satin with a not-too-full skirt would be a good candidate for such an alteration.

6. anessa

anessa Guest

Thanks Hatty for your bump!

Well I think I've found one and I'm just waiting on it to show up. I bought it from a lady in Australia and I will have to have it shortened to tea-length (assuming I don't look attrocious in it hehehe). I suppose if it is just terrible I can relist it on ebay (BTW my ebay seller name is BustownModern ).

I do love this dress though, it is so elegant and simple. No cheap lace either. I'm STILL on the lookout though! Buying a vintage dress is ABSOLUTELY no fun! You don't get to go try it on and do all that stuff! I may just buy a few and then put anything I don't end up using on eBay. And don't worry - I won't alter anything until I'm SURE it's the right one!

Here are some photos of it though! And here are the shoes I already have - hopefully they'll work out otherwise back to the drawing board! I'm 5'9" and one thing I like about my body is my ankles so I thought I'd better show them off! Haha!

Oh and... that's one of my Chinese Cresteds (Joy) walking through the last photo. I don't mind - I love her too much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

OMG, I can see that dress cut off to tea length right now! It will be fabulous!

Tell me about the vail....:smug:

8. anessa

anessa Guest

Still need a vail! Not sure what direction I'm going to go yet with that but probably something waist length.

And yes, I'm SURE this dress was meant to be tea-length! Lol!

9. anessa

anessa Guest

Still need a vail! Not sure what direction I'm going to go yet with that but probably something waist length.

And yes, I'm SURE this dress was meant to be tea-length! Lol!

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Congratulations on the Wedding! The dress looks lovely and should look fine cut to tea length, just make certain you have the right seamstress.

The shoes are wicked! Better bring along an extra pair for dancing!

If you are going to go with a veil, I would think for the style of the dress it should be a shorty veil to the neckline only.

Let us know how the dress is once it arrives!

11. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

It's stunning! And the shoes are gorgeous (yes, a pair of satin ballerina flats or a mid-heel pump to change into after the first few dances is probably a good idea!).

I can see this with a small 50's' headpiece with short veil!

12. vintageclothesline

I do know how to spell veil correctly. :BAGUSE:

13. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I know this sounds a stupid question for you in the know, but what length is tea length?

14. Hattysattic

lol - I am having a vail kind of a day too day Linda, if you know what I mean.

Anessa, the dress is super! One of my customers bought a prom dress from me to wear for her reception. 1950s themed wedding, and she too had her wedding dress shortened to tea length: it looked brilliant (she sent me pictures to drool over)!

Those shoes are lovely!! And need to be seen, another good reason for tea length.. :)

15. anessa

anessa Guest

Tea length is mid-calf! Don't feel badly - sometimes I just have days where everything I think about things is wrong and I wonder why I'm in this business and if I've wasted time in all my research? Lol. And then sometimes you just have on days and start feeling better about it. :)

I will be sure to show pics of me in the dress but the wedding is NEXT Christmas (07). I probably won't even get the dress hsortened until next summer sometime! And yes, I am going to do some serious inquiries for seamstresses w/ this dress. All that chiffon. I could do it myself but I'm too scared!

I was thinking a waist length veil b/c I was afraid something short might look odd w/ the neckline of the dress. We'll just have to try it out and see! And of course I'll be wearing tiny gloves as well. ;)

As for the shoes - I can wear them all day! I generally only wear heels or very flat smart boots. I'm pretty sure I'm the kind of gal that can run a marathon in heels! I even used to wear them on a daily basis when I worked in a 2-story shop and wasn't allowed to sit down! And - they weren't $49.50 or whatever it says on the tag - they were $8 and I got them about 4 years ago just in case anyone ever wanted to marry me. *wink wink* as it turns out a year later I met the guy! LOL!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Hopefully this dress will work out but if not - back to the drawing board!

16. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

You'll have to play with veils, once you've had it shortened and see how you feel then...a pretty seed pearl tiara might be nice with this.

You lucky girl, if you can stay in these heels all day long, I commend you! To be perfectly honest, I used to be able to wear heels myself for hours at a stretch and walk in them gracefully without warbling (does this word fit here?) too back in the good old days!

17. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Oh you are so very lucky for been able to wear heels all day i admire ladies who can and wonder what it must be like!:drool::drool::drool:

18. vintageclothesline

19. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

thank yuo for asking THE question Paul!! LOL

20. anessa

anessa Guest

Hey everyone - the above wedding gown didn't work out so I sold it. It was terrible on me in every way.

So I got this new gown (and one in between) tonight and I am so happy - I just knew this was "THE ONE" when I saw it and that it HAD to be this. I'm 5'9" and the skirt will still drag in heels! Even the bodice will be long enough!!!! I must admit, I put in an EXTREMELY high bid on it and was lucky to get it for only $152.50!!!! Heck if it doesn't fit me I'll resell it!

OMG I am just so happy. I think my family had lost faith that I would find the perfect vintage gown for a price that was good and they sort of pushed me into picking out a new gown that I didn't love.

But I love this one so much. My whole wedding is black and white, complete with multiple aluminum trees around and everything and also rotating. I think it's ok that I willbe wearing red and white though, since then everyone's eyes will be on me ! LOL!

Just wanted to share since I'm sure all of you know the love of the perfect dress!

I guess mybeautiful shoes are out since this is white, but I can find a different pair and add the bow, I'm sure.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160136192118&rd=1&rd=1