1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50's tea length winter wedding gown ***UPDATE***

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by anessa, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Laura

Laura Alumni

Wow, that is a gorgeous gown! Congratulations on finding it!

Laura

2. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

That is lovely. Can you dye the shoes white? Have you found a veil yet?

3. anessa

anessa Guest

No veil yet but I will start looking soon.

My middle dress (the one I didn't want) which was very 1930's (fitted to the ground, raglan cut tied behind the neck and backless to the waist) was lovely but I basically wore the same look to both my proms and I just really wanted my one chance to wear the big puffy gown. :) ANyway, I was going to wear my hair to the side and wasn't going to be able to really wear a veil.

So now I have to find one.

It's so odd - I was at an antique mall yesterday (a few hours before bidding on the gown) and I found these earrings - note the branches go up onto the ear, they don't dangle and they can be bent a bit to sit wherever the wearer likes - and they were so perfect for the dress I didn't yet own but I KNEW it was meant to be! They look like the darn embroidery!

[​IMG]

4. vintageclothesline

Now isn't that too cool. I am sure you will be just as lucky with the veil.

5. anessa

anessa Guest

well crap - got the dress and unfortunately the seller measured it incorrectly - the waist is 2 inches smaller than stated and it is too small.

Then, I guess I should have measured it myself before putting it on, when I put it on it zipped right up, then I couldn't breathe and unzipped it and the zipper broke.

:(

All is not lost though, I looked carefully and it has been take in on the sides so I sent it to a seamstress friend to see if she can help get it to fit me. I might be able to add a hidden panel of tool & organza under the skirt to put the waist itself up another inch or two. It really sucks when you spend the whole year dieting, and then get the dress of your dreams only to find out it was measured incorrectly from the get go. :(

But if I can get it altered a bit, it WILL be the perfect dress!

6. vintageclothesline

Two inches is not a lot...an inch on each side. I bet your seamstress friend can fix it right up and fix the zipper, too.

Let us know.

7. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

i agree the two inches isn't much and i'm hoping your seamstress can do it up perfect for you!

8. Laura

Laura Alumni

Wedding gowns are almost always made with at least 1" seam allowance (compared to a standard of about 1/2") because manufacturers know they are going to be altered. Add to that the fact that you can see it was already taken in at some point, and I'm sure you will be able to let it out enough to fit you.

And zippers can be replaced. :USETHUMBUP:

I just know it's going to look fabulous on you!!

Laura

9. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

But also, do not underestimate good foundation garments. Before doing any major alterations like raising or lower a waist, I would get a waist cincher and try the dress on again. Because you might find that everything falls into place better. If THEN it doesn't fit around your ribcage i would consider taking it out. I know alterations is what we consider first since we are so much used to comfort and in the rut of when wearing a formal garment - we just wear our normal underwear and just change the bra to strapless and we are done and anything that doesn't fit us needs to be taken in or out right away. So I would try the dress on with a waist cincher and ALSO put on the bra that you would wear - a strapless or a longline at the same time. Its going to really change how the bodice fits as well.

If it doesn't fit after that - then consider taking it out.

10. anessa

anessa Guest

thanks everyone - i 'm so sorry for the delay in my post - my lights didn't flash!

my mom is taking it out for me as we speak, but she is only undoing where someone in the past took it in (and poorly at that). Then I'm going to try it on w/ a longline bra or something and see where that takes me.

BTW - any good recommendations for a waist cincher?

11. Waist cincher? Try Rago shapewear, you can get them all over the place, heck try ebay.

If you want something formidable, try corsetry *smile*

You've reminded me that I need something to wear to my wedding in December! I've been at the gym trying to lose weight and get in shape before picking a gown but time is running out...I have dozens of brides on the books looking for their "perfect gown", it's not easy. If I wasn't so busy (and so dedicated to vintage) I'd damn well make one myself.

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i was going to say try a corset, or some such foundation garment...Lei is the pro with that line of stuff...

13. anessa

anessa Guest

great link with the rago stuff - thanks!

nicole when is your wedding in december? and what look are trying to find? i wish i'd known, i just sold about 20 beautiful 40s-60s gowns as well!

14. anessa

anessa Guest

good point jonathan! i do also know, from what my own mother has told me, that strapless is hard to find BECAUSE you couldn't wear them in church. she said no self-respecting catholic woman (not that I'm religious or anything) would have been caught dead in a strapless gown in church.

I DID find a beautiful strapless, tea-length gown but unfortunately it was of course too small. I sold it a few months ago. SO pretty - wish I had photos. cream colored silk with yards of organza around the very full skirt. organza just around the top of the bust line w/ tiny little silk bows in the organza. i bought it from the original owner who had had it made for her, and confirmed that women wouldn't have wanted to show so much skin for their weddings. :)