1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70s White Lace Blouse / Dress - need help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lunaloomer, Jun 23, 2016.

1. lunaloomer

lunaloomer Registered Guest

Hello!

I recently acquired this gorgeous sheer lace blouse / dress on Etsy. Apparently 70s, 100% polyester. I'd really like to identify it but as there are no designer labels on it I don't know where to start!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something very very similar was worn by Shelly Johnson in Twin Peaks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one she is wearing has some extra lace details and no red sheer skirt but to me they seem similar enough to have been made by the same designer / brand.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would think it is from 1978-1983 (1950s revival ala Grease). You're right they do seem to be by the same maker - the button closure is identical and the lace is nearly identical. Twin Peaks was filmed in 1989 but it looks odd for anything I remember from 1989. The costumer of Twin Peaks, Sara Markowitz, chose fashions that were a bit 'off' - a combo of fashion realism with 'Pleasant-ville' nostalgia, and a hint of 70s horror film -- it all helped to unsettle the viewer. So I wouldn't be surprised if she bought a lot of her stuff from thrift shops to get that look. Unfortunately, without a label, I don't think you will be able to figure who made it. It's a manufactured garment, not a designer piece, so there were hundreds made and if there is no existing label it could have been made by a jobber for a department store and tagged by that store rather than the manufacturer.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Joyatri likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

5. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

Pinkcoke likes this.
  6. lunaloomer

lunaloomer Registered Guest

Thanks for all your help! Being being a lil Twin Peaks obsessed I think I was very lucky to find a piece so similar.
    The Samax dresses are gorgeous. It would probably be veeery difficult to find the specific one but at least I know to keep an eye out for that label!

Pinkcoke likes this.