1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Fashionable Summer ~ TINA LESER

Discussion in 'A Fashionable Summer 2005 (Asst. Designers)' started by fuzzylizzie, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

This is a lot to think about.

I was wondering Lizzie, who actually was the market or the type of lady who would be a Tina Leser customer.

Firstly, you say the clothing is more casual for everyday than folks were used to. was this a shocking to the fashion world? I am just wondering if women just were so thrilled with dressing more relaxed that it must have been a big hit.

Sometimes its hard to tell from fashion magazines what the real market is because clothing is always portrayed that you will be more glamorous/influential and the age/activity level. etc of the core market wasn't always the same. You mention Saks, boutique, etc, and I am also wondering where the clothing really fit in price wise. Obviously, not comparing to today - but was she more in the "designer boutique room" of an upscale department store or was it more in reach of more folks price wise. (but if something is novel...everyone must have it).

These various labels seem to be different phases in her career, but did she do more than one line at a time for different price points like some designers do?

2. Patentleathershoes

whoops...crossposted with you Lizzie!

3. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Great workshop!

I love reading all these great pieces of information through the VFG. Now, if I could only retain everything. ;)

Gail

4. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

You don't have to retain it, Gail. It will be archived here. Right, Chris and Lizzie?

5. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

6. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Fantastic information, Lizzie!!<p>I have never some across any of her items but after reading this, I sure hope to one of these days.<p>Cat :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

7. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

Was reading 1942 Lady's Home Journal... They had an article that woman were looking for more casual and comfortable clothes because of the war and having to work.

-Chris

8. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Yes, women were looking for a more casual way of dressing. I read somewhere that one thing that allowed this change to happen was that so many of the men were gone! Guess that explains why women get dressed up!

To address Chris's question and comments, we have to remember that Tina Leser was ready-to-wear that was sold in department stores across the country. Her line wasn't cheap, but it wasn't expensive either. You can look at the editorial copy from <i>Vogue</i> featuring her items, but notice that <i>Woman's Home Companion</i> also used her clothing. So I'd think she had a fairly large customer base. And those who could not afford her clothes, could make items inspired by her beautiful exotic fabrics and designs.

And after her agreement with Gabor, I'd say that she was available in almost any large town in the US.

Lizzie

9. Patentleathershoes

Lizzie, I can't tell you how much i am enjoying this workshop.

I LOVE that skirt and really think its intriguing how her ideass "trickled down" so to speak.

10. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

Great workshop, Lizzie - very informative. Thank you.

Did you see <a href=http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?messageID=202036494&forumID=92&x#202036494>this thread</a> on the ebay board recently?

11. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Hi Margaret, and thanks! That is a very nice example of the type of thing she was doing in the early 40s.

12. Great job Lizzie! I've really enjoyed reading and learning a little about this wonderful designer. I too will be keeping my eyes open for her things in the future!

13. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I'll be wrapping this up tomorrow morning, so there's still time for anyone who wants to comment or pose a question. I really appreciate all who have read and posted!

Lizzie

14. Patentleathershoes

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Thank you Lizzie!

15. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This is SOOOOOOOOO fascinating! You made me an instant Leser Fan Lizzie!

Would you know if Leser was hopping into the Hawaiian mainstream by printing original fabrics there, or did she influence others to do the same?

BTW, having lived in Seattle, Spokane and briefly in San Diego for much of my life, you'd think I would have, but I've not yet found a Tina Leser.

16. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Good question, Maggie. I know that by the 30s, native prints were being done in Hawaii, so she might have just been part of this larger industry.

17. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Thank you so much, Lizzie! This was fascinating! My goal now is to add at least one Tina Leser to my personal collection.

Jody

18. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

thank you lizzie - missed out yesterday so have just read through and you did an amazing job. yes, me too jody- one more box to tick!
    :clapping:

19. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Well guys, this about finishes up our first segment of A Fashionable Summer. Thanks so much for attending and for the great questions and feedback. It's been fun for me! I truly hope ALL of you find a Tina Leser, and soon! Feel free to post the pictures of your new and exotic finds here!

And stay tuned for part 2 ~ Louella Ballerino ~ presented by trade member Lin of The Noir Boudoir. Individualistic and creative, Louella blended ethnic trends in her popular 40s leisurewear. Presented next Tuesday, July 5.

20. Patentleathershoes

Thanks, again Lizzie for the terrific job. You set the bar high for this series!

This thread will be open for a little while for additional posting like Lizzie indicated, and then I will come back and post when it is locked as "archived"

You can re-experience this workshop anytime. Just click on the workshop forum :)