1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few recipes from 1927:

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Nov 5, 2015.

1. I was at a fabulous estate sale today, full of antique dolls, magazines, books, glass, the list goes on. There were literally hundreds of Delineator, Pictorial Review, ladies home journal, etc. magazines from the teens and 20s at only two dollars apiece. But I resisted temptation and only purchased two Butterick Quarterly fashion catalogs from the 1920s and one McCall's pattern catalog from the early 50s. Oh, and this notebook with recipes dated from 1927. There are over 100 pages of handwritten recipes. It's my most prized purchase. Thought I would share two pages with you:

image.jpeg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would have loaded up the car with the Home Journals and Delineators! I have no restraint in such matters...

3. Actually, I am considering going back tomorrow… ;)

Editing to add: I almost forgot to mention the 1950s Bianchi/Saks Fifth Avenue wedding dress and veil still in their large white Saks Fifth Avenue boxes for only 12 bucks!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  4. Here are two beautiful fabric ads from the summer 1928 Butterick Quarterly magazine of fashion. I love the Art Deco look:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

5. Villa

Villa Registered Guest

What a score, how fun!

6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Oh my. Did you go back? I'm with Jonathan on this one.

7. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Oh my. Did you go back? I'm with Jonathan on this one.

8. I went back today (Sunday). All but two of the Delineator magazines were gone. I bought the two, along with about twenty Ladies Home Journals, and about 25 Home Arts-Needlecraft magazines. I also got a big fat 1951 Spiegel catalog with tons of great graphics. :)

glamoursurf likes this.
  9. glamoursurf

glamoursurf Alumni

Oh wow, I would have stayed the whole weekend! Love the recipes, I have a huge weakness for old cookbooks and adore when the columns have updated notes and comments. I find the ingredients so intriguing! Sweet milk, that's called of quite a bit in those old recipes. And those ads are beautiful!

10. I just know that if I'd bought all the magazines they would have ended up sitting in a box somewhere, taking up space in my small home, after I'd flipped through them. (Though I would have enjoyed flipping through them!) I just don't have the time or inclination to list and sell each one, especially since the job I took earlier this year keeps me busy with lots of overtime. Anyway, I AM enjoying the 50+ that I went back to purchase for 50% off (therefore, $1 each). I simply couldn't justify buying 200+ magazines for a total cost of $400+ just to flip through them and put them away. The magazines I got when I went back Sunday (first visit to this sale was Thursday), were Delineators from the '20s, LHJ from late 1800s-1910s, and Needlework (one of my passions) from the '10s-'20s.
    I, too, love old cookbooks with handwritten notations! It feels like I'm getting a personal peek into a kitchen of yesteryear. This completely handwritten book is a treasure to me, something I know I'll look at again and again.

11. rockabillystyle

rockabillystyle Registered Guest

amazing, keep that book looked up. Might be worth a lot!

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  12. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Just found this thread.
    Vintage magazines are like flames and me the moth.

I always think I better save them before someone comes along and separates all the pages to the wind.