1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judy Travels Abroad: a handwritten 1958 European tour diary

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

S.S. Venus was a ferry service ship that ran from Newcastle, UK to Bergen, Norway from 1931 to 1939. It was taken by the Germans in 1940 and sunk in Hamburg harbour in 1945. Judged capable of being repaired, she was refloated and resumed summer service in April 1948 (she did cruises during the winter). In 1955 she ran aground on a sandbar but was towed off without significant damage. Due to lack of car-transport, the Venus was withdrawn and broken up in 1968.
    SFFf-100057.139865.jpg

2. Lol, Jonathan! Actually, with all this typing that I'm doing, I am considering switching over to a blog and really expanding on the diary. But for now...

Date: Thursday, June 26, 1958
    Place: Bergen
    Weather: Nice for a change!
    Sue and I missed breakfast as usual, so lunch really tasted good. Went back to the ship shop and spent more money. Got a bracelet to go with mom's set, and a Norwegian bracelet
    (two bracelets $10.70). As we were about to land we noticed this white yacht and were informed that it belonged to the King of Norway. (He was just crowned on Sunday and was paying a visit to Bergen). As soon as we went through customs on ship we were met by our guide Stan who is 24 and cute! We are staying at the Victoria Hotel. Jane and I are in room 203. Had a letter from mom. We didn't have time to go shopping 'cause we all rode up this huge mountain and the scenery from the top was just beautiful. You could see everything in the town - the lakes and fjords, and I just love it here. Betsy, J.M., Harry and I decided to walk down and it took about an hour, specially when we decided to take short-cuts right down the side! It was a good thing Harry was there to hold me up. For supper we had this thin bread, just like thin waffles, and after we went to a folk festival where we saw the king again. He went right past us on the mountain, so got a good look at royalty.

P1080316.JPG

(Note: King Olav V of Norway was consecrated on June 22, 1958. Norway discarded coronation by constitutional amendment in 1908.)
    [​IMG]

The Hotel Victoria in Bergen, Norway:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

This is really delightful. Thank you so much for posting this and sharing it.

I wonder how old Judy B. was when she took this trip? You mentioned you thought she was 20 something I'm guessing she was 21 or 22 which is about the age that young women took "the grand tour" back then. If she was 21 then she would be 77 now. When you purchased the diary did anyone know who Judy B. was - or do you know if it was "Judy's" estate sale. It's hard to imagine that Judy's family wouldn't want to keep this delightful little book.

I'm also really enjoying the pictures of actual people and places. I have never been to Norway but I'm looking forward to reading about it and the rest of the places Judy visited. I spent the summer between my junior and senior year in Europe with a friend from college who was a year ahead of me and had just graduated. I was 21. We purchased round-trip tickets from New York to Rome on PanAm that allowed us to go to any country in Europe. Unlike Judy we had a very "unstructured" trip with no tour guides and carried "Europe on $5 a Day" with us which we used - much of the time. Like Judy we put shillings in the heater in London and saw the Changing of the Guard and most of the other attractions in London. We had plane reservations to major cities but kept changing them. We had no hotel reservations and started looking when we landed. I can't imagine doing that now! We got our mail at Thomas Cook and, like Judy we called home for more travellers checks! Unfortunately I only have a couple of pictures and no diary. But I have a stack of post cards that I sent home that my parents and my then boyfriend saved!

We didn't shop as much as Judy but I came home with a few treasures - most of them long gone. No cashmere's and not much jewelry. I still have a gold bangle bracelet and a tiny wooden train that I bought on the trip but I think that's all. I put the train out with my Christmas decorations. I have one photo of me holding a handbag that I bought in Florence - taken some years later in Central Park.... who knew I would wish I still had it or the sling-back's I bought in Paris so many years ago!

Linn

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I'm actually surprised Judy's trip isn't more structured, complete with curfews and chaperones, but I guess she must be over 21 as she is out with a boy until 1 a.m. in London and drinking beer on a few occasions...

5. Still working on getting the blog up and running so...

Date: Friday, June 27, 1958
    Place: Bergen, Voss, Stalheim
    Weather: Sunny and quite warm

Today was really fun! Breakfast this morning was served smorgasbord style with everything you could imagine! We had a morning tour of Bergen and went out to Grieg's home (the composer)
    (set of pictures $0.35). It was just beautiful there and so quiet. (Not a bit like London!) After that we went out to this old Norwegian church that is 800 years old. Stan sang some songs for us (The Happy Old Farming Man) that had us all laughing and we all joined in on the chorus. After our tour we went directly to the station. Stan had gotten sandwiches for us at the hotel and we had pop too so it seemed just like a picnic. Some of the sandwiches were meat so I ate them and it seemed funny to eat meat on Friday but Father Hay said it was OK! So?? When we got to Voss we took the bus to Stalheim where we stayed all night. I never saw such beautiful scenery! The mountains are very high, some snow-capped, many with beautiful water-falls, and quaint little houses perched all over the sides! Our hotel was the best yet - way up in the mountains made of red wood! The supper was delicious, and I got two darling hand-carved wooden figures (one a troll!) ($8.29). Mynie is staying here too, so we took a walk after supper.

Home of Edvard Grieg:
    [​IMG]

Stalheim Hotel:
    [​IMG]

GemGem and PersonalPursuits like this.
  6. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Bravo. I love personal history like this. I also have found similar items I cannot believe people don't want to keep but alas, life.

7. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

8. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

this is such fun to read, along with the added photos and information too. thanks so much for taking the time to share it.

to put judy's $117 shopping spree into context today, she spent about $1000.

GemGem likes this.
  9. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

10. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

11. Date: Saturday, June 28, 1958
    Place: Fjord Steamer trip and Balestrad
    Weather: Warm!!

Got up this morning at 6:00 for another huge smorgasbord breakfast., then left at 8:00 for a trip on the Sognefjord, the largest fjord in Norway. The scenery of course was just beautiful and we changed steamer in mid-stream (or should I say fjord) and continued on to Balholm where we spent the rest of the day at this fabulous hotel right on the fjord which is salt water. We got here at 12:00, and everyone wanted to go swimming, but since most of us had packed our suits in our big bags that were sent to Oslo, we were wondering what to do! I met this cute fellow (Charlie) from Ohio that walked down to the hotel's private beach with me and he said I could wear his trunks and borrow one of his handkerchiefs! Mynie Lou had a cold so she let me borrow hers which was really more suitable! I never was in such cold water in my life - just like ice, and was it funny to look up and see snow on the mountains. Lunch was smorgasbord style and I ate tons, the peach dessert was fabulous. (I had another kind too!) After supper (served family style) Mary, Nancy, Judy H., and I went rowing on the fjord. After listening to violin music I went to bed and at 12:00 it still isn't completely dark. I just love Norway!

Sognefjord:
    [​IMG]

Kviknes Hotel, Balholm, Balestrand, Norway:
    [​IMG]

12. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I am LOVING this thread!

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Can you find out more about who Judy B is/was? I think this would make a really great blog, and I am really enjoying tracking down all the hotesl and ships etc... of course as the VFG we could find examples of the clothes she refers to (cashmere sweaters, charm bracelets) if you put this onto a blog. Great fun reading this... and I would love to find out more about Judy B....

14. I've sent you a message, Jonathan.

Date: Sunday, June 29, 1958
    Place: Laerdal
    Weather: Cold - Warm in the morning

Sue and I got up for 8:00 breakfast - smorgasbord style, and we left the hotel at 9:30 by steamer. People were packed in on the top deck like sardines so Sue and I went down below and found this small deck. The other fella from Ohio (the cutest one) came down and sat by me. We started talking, and he is on a Marsh tour. Oh yes, and his name is Sam! He got me a bottle of pop, and we had so much fun that I almost didn't get off the boat. He wasn't going to the same place, but he said he'd look for me in Oslo. (I hope I see him 'cause he's just a doll, looks something like Jim Burt). <Who is Jim Burt??> He came up on deck and waved good-by. We drove to another town by bus and had lunch at 12:45 - salmon with lemon butter! Then we crossed a fjord by ferry, bus and all, and took another steamer to this place where we had to wait three hours for the bus! Not too much traveling! We finally got to to our hotel at 8:45pm. It is really cute - quite Norwegian. Everyone was starved so did we eat. We had fresh oranges for dessert smothered with whipped cream! (Everything has whipped cream on it) and after we had coffee downstairs in front of a fire! Very cozy! Went to bed early!

The Linsdstrom Hotel in Laerdal... maybe Judy stayed here?
    [​IMG]

And tragically:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    GemGem likes this.
  15. Date: Monday, June 30, 1958
    Place: Oslo, Finally
    Weather: Warm

What a day - actually I don't care if I ever see another bus or train! After another huge smorgasbord breakfast we left our quaint hotel for a two hour bus ride to the railroad station. Before eating lunch we went to a folk museum and went into an old house 200 years old, complete with furniture, and clothing worn during that period. We had the very same family style lunch that we had last night for dinner!
    Our train ride lasted six hours, and was it warm. Here I was in my suit and grey crewneck, thought I would roast and would have given anything for a swim in good old Lake Fenton. We finally got to Oslo, and student housing (U. of Oslo) only to find that our big suitcases which were shipped ahead weren't here! No one knows where they are! After wearing my grey suit for a week I don't care if I ever see that again either! After getting our rooms and mail (I had a letter from Mom but none from Bill) we hurried down to supper and guess what we had - the same thing we had for lunch and dinner last night! We almost died. I hope we won't have it for breakfast!

Poor Judy! She manages to have such a great outlook all the time... even after the day she has today, she ends the journal entry with a joke!

GemGem likes this.
  16. sewingmachinegirl

Talk about 1st world problems !! :hysterical: Poor Judy!.

17. My apologies for slowing down my posts here but I've been busy developing the blog for Judy's travels. The last post here will be her July 2 entry when she leaves Norway. Since I am not a trade member of VFG, I'm not permitted to post links to my own site so, if you'd like to continue to follow Judy on her trip, just send me a message and I'll let you know the web address of the blog. Please be patient with me as I catch it up to the current VFG dates! The blog, however, does include her spending costs pretty much as they happen so there is some extra info there. Thanks, everyone, for joining me on this trip!

Date: Tuesday, July 1, 1950
    Place: Oslo
    Weather: HOT!

Had an all day tour of Oslo this morning. First of all we went to Frogner Park with all its statues by Vigeland. These were all figures (naked at that) depicting various scenes from life. About this time I really envied those statues 'cause I was still in my suit skirt and sweater. Our suitcases still hadn't shown up.
    After the park we went to the town hall, with its various murals painted on all the walls and ceilings. Quite impressing. (Also went out to the ski jump.) As we drove up for lunch, a welcome sight awaited us - our suitcases had arrived! Everyone immediately changed into cottons, and after a lunch of pork chops, we set out on another bus tour, this time going to see the Fram, Kon-tiki the famous raft, and the old Viking Ships. Here Sue and I tore ourselves away long enough from Stan and his Wikings to go to the little girl's sand-box. Had quite an experience here as I locked myself in, and had visions of spending weeks there when I finally figured out the combination and escaped. We stopped at the Royal Norwegian Yacht Club for something to drink and then went out to the Folk-museum where Stan took us through more of those old 200-year-old houses - when you've seen one you've seen them all!
    After eating at an inn, and watching some folk-dancers we started home. Betsy, Mary T, Sally, and I decided to go to the show, Bonjour Tristesse
    ($0.42), in English with Norwegian sub-titles. We got lost on the way home, took the wrong tram, met a Norwegian boy who straightened us out and walked us home, then met two French drunks. Sue and I ended the evening by washing our rain coats in the shower!

Other expenses from Norway:
    Apple and coke: $0.28
    Sterling silver ring: $4.20
    Set of 50 pictures: $0.70
    Book on Kon-tiki: $0.14
    Set of 12 pictures: $0.14
    One slide of Kon-tiki: $0.28
    Coke: $0.14
    Candy bar: $0.28
    Lady's Home Journal: $0.56

Vigeland Sculpture Park (within Frogner Park):

GemGem likes this.
  18. sewingmachinegirl

Gosh, Judy had quite a day on July 1st !!! :hysterical:

19. All right folks, this is the last post here. Send me a message ("conversation" here on VFG) if you'd like the web address/link to the blog so you can follow Judy as she visits Sweden, Denmark, Holland, Belguim, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and France (shopping in Paris!). Her last entry is dated Monday, August 18.

Date: Wednesday, July 2, 1958
    Place:
    Oslo
    Weather: Hot! Hot! Hot!!!

Sue and I went shopping this morning. I got a blue and white Norwegian ski sweater ($16.74), a Wiking boat for my charm bracelet (oops, Judy missed noting this expense!), a spoon for my collection ($2.48), and a purple enamel set for mom (three spoons and a fork, $12.88). After lunch, Betsy, Sue, and I went back to the Park in our bermudas (I must be impressed with the statues). On the way home we met these fellas from the States going to summer school in Oslo. We left Oslo on the 10:00 overnight train for Stockholm. Not too jerky - so that's why the writing is like this - there's no club car! (Judy is being sarcastic, the writing is terrible!)

Prices for other expenses thus far have been noted on the blog.

Oh! And there's a cute photo of Judy B and a young man that corresponds with her upcoming July 8th entry. ;-)

Bon voyage, everyone!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    GemGem likes this.
  20. The Judy Travels Abroad blog got up and running and reached the July 2 date posted above but then I had bad news at my place of employment: cutbacks affecting my hours. This forced me to go out into the job market to seek new full time employment and I parked Judy for several weeks. I currently have a strong lead on a new job (I should know if I got it next week) and I'm not sure if/when I'll have the time/motivation to manage a blog so I'm going to to continue Judy Travels Abroad here. I will continue the blog as well if time allows. Upcoming posts here may not include many of the travel links/photos that I've included in the past as it takes quite a bit of extra time to research and add that -- I hope you all will join in and post those.

And so, without further ado, let's rejoin Judy on her travels!

Date: Thursday, July 3, 1958
    Place: Stockholm, Sweden
    Weather: Still Hot!

Got in this morning at 8:00 and were taken to the Hotel Malmen. (Our rooms here are fabulous - we have our own private bathroom!) After a Continental breakfast of coffee and toast (I at four slices!), we were whisked off on our day's sightseeing tour. Sweden, or should say Stockholm, excusez-moi, is built on fourteen islands and I think we drove over each one! Actually, I was too tired to enjoy much. We went to old town first, and visited the Cathedral where we saw the statue of St. George and the Dragon! (That was the only thing that impressed me!) We also saw the City Hall, with its gold room and figures showing the history of Sweden (Judy actually wrote Norway first, but lined through it) in mosaics, and then we had lunch in this fabulous restaurant, Stadshuskallaren! (YOU pronounce it!) I really stuffed myself. First we had all kinds of bread, stuffed eggs with shrimp, and cold meats. Next we had steak and french fries.
    After lunch we went out to Drottningholm Palace and went through this old theater that the king had built because he liked to act in 1763.
    Plays are still given there today. That was really interesting to see the old sets and costumes. After that, we went through all the rooms in the palace (there must have been thousands) and when we finished Mary, Nancy, Sue, and I went out in the king's garden, took off our shoes, and stuck our feet in his fountain! As we were going back to the bus we ran into Sam, who was just on his way in, so we had to stay and talk. He was leaving for Copenhagen tonight. (I just changed my seal's name to Sam!!)
    We came home, got all dressed up (I wore my red jersey), and went to the Alhambra, a place full of atmosphere for dinner, steak again! Afterwards, we went to the show (Sweet Smell of Success)
    ($0.57) and home for a look in the mirror! Sue and I are going on a diet!

Drottningholm Palace and the fountain where Judy stuck her feet in:
    [​IMG]

The Palace's theatre today:

jauntyrooster likes this.