1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Vintage Touch in a Photo Shoot

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Gozovintage, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Gozovintage

Gozovintage Registered Guest

Greetings! Just joined the forum and by way of introduction I thought I would share a little something. My name is Mike and I've had a passion for photography since high school and was a Navy Photographer in my 20's but changed course and have been an oncology nurse for 18 years. (my wife/model is an RN as well) A few years ago I got back to making images after not touching a camera for over a decade, but this time around just for the sheer joy of it. From Old Hollywood to the bombshell 50's and Mad Men 60's, I've always had a love for vintage style and fashion. (I can spend hours studying George Hurrell's Hollywood portraits and those iconic Lillie Ann print ads.) Occasionally these two interests combine and here's the result of our most recent efforts. The top and jacket are from what I believe is a 60's era skirt suit with rabbit fur cuffs. The tag reads "George Brown Originals."

Anyway, this looks like a wonderful community and I look forward to gleaning knowledge from you all. Hope you like the photo.

Mike

[​IMG]

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Truly elegant. I like the different textures.
    Marian

Gozovintage likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Charming photo - great lighting. And wow - You have a difficult job Mike. Welcome to the forums.

Gozovintage likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Lovely photo....like the old bakelite phone with the mid-century lamp too, great background editions.

Gozovintage likes this.
  6. Love this photo, Mike......and, George Hurrell.....say no more and shut the door!!! You have done such a lovely job and will look forward to more posts! And, I might add......a vintage hat can always add a great touch to any vintage style photo!!! But, of course, I am partial to those little accessories!

Gozovintage likes this.
  7. Gozovintage

Gozovintage Registered Guest

Thank you all for the comments and the warm welcome! Bonnie, I agree with you on the hat idea. We didn't have one that worked nicely with this outfit and opted to keep it a little more simple. I'm already curating items for our next project. I recently acquired a black skirt suit with fur trim on the collar and front pockets from a studio costume department that dates to the 30's according to the seller. I had been looking for sometime for a 40's/50's suit but without any success in finding the "right one" in her size. We have the vintage shoes and a lovely 40's vintage black cartwheel hat with a taupe bow arrived yesterday so the outfit will be close to the era except for maybe gloves and jewelry. I really don't have much in the way of art deco props so I'll probably have to keep the same lamp but I do have a 1939 Model 302 telephone that we actually use in our old farmhouse. (My studio is just my living room with the couch dragged into the kitchen to make room for the lighting equipment.) Any ideas or suggestions are more the welcomed! Thanks again!

8. Sartorial Eloquence

Sartorial Eloquence Registered Guest

Very glamorous. She has great legs. I love that lamp in the background. I've been meaning to set up a vintage background area for photos but I've never got round to it yet - this might help motivate me!

9. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

Fabulous photo and I love the way you were able to bring out the textures out! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing more of your talented artwork.