1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abraham and Straus Raccoon Fur

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Debby Thurman-Becnel, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Debby Thurman-Becnel

Debby Thurman-Becnel Registered Guest

IMG_20161117_201016.jpg I recently purchased a full length Raccoon Coat from the NY area, with the label A&S Fur Showcase. After reseaching the department store, I was blown away how grand the store was back in the day.

The pics of the coat took my breath away so I bought it. I'll have it next Wednesday. The original owners name is embroidered in the lining so
    I plan on researching that also. The pics show a beautiful coat plus what seller told me coat is in great condition. Seller said he had gone to the Brooklyn Store, now Macy's, when store was still open and items were very very expensive.
    IMG_20161118_212130.jpg IMG_20161117_200955.jpg

I'm curious what this coat might have been priced at during that era. Also a current price in today's world. The original owners name is embroidered in the lining so plan on researching that also.

Attached Files:

2. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Lovely coat, Debby. Unfortunately the VFG cannot authenticate or price items: a professional appraiser needs to see the item in person.
    You could also search closed auction results on ebay for similar items.

3. Debby Thurman-Becnel

Just curious if anyone had an idea what a fur like this might have sold for back in that era....

Attached Files:

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

You can search for store ads to maybe get an idea of the price at the time.

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, Just wanted to stop in for a moment to correct the fur type which is actually beaver fur and the coat dates to the 1980s.

Debby Thurman-Becnel likes this.
  6. Debby Thurman-Becnel

Thank you....seller had it listed as Raccoon. The pics of the coat took my breath away....the rich colors caught my eye.

Any idea what a coat like this would have sold for during that era?

7. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

We wouldn't be able to provide pricing information for you as Alice said whether it was current pricing or prior pricing. As Cinthia said, you could search for fur coat advertisements from the 1980s to see if you could find some pricing from that time.

Debby Thurman-Becnel likes this.
  8. Debby Thurman-Becnel

Is there s "Style" name for this coat

9. Debby Thurman-Becnel

Me and "The Beav.....er" coat.

Gave the pics a vintage look but still allowing the rich colors of my coat to be seen. FB_IMG_1479781412524.jpg FB_IMG_1479781418596.jpg FB_IMG_1479781405972.jpg