1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from the Experts

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by onceoza, Jun 18, 2013.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I actually have two half mannequins; one black and one white. Then your back to using a hook on the door, right?

I hope you all would be so proud. I went out today and got a steamer at Wally World for $20. Haven't had a chance to try it out on the Emma Domb yet. Then, while walking the aisles, I got an idea about putting a curtain tension rod inside the door casing of my patio door and then hang a lightweight shower curtain liner from it. They come in various colors. You all mentioned lighting....is it good or bad if the light is from behind like it would if it was coming through the curtain?

2. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Great deal on the steamer! I also have those 1/2 mannis one black and one white. I only use them when the item is too small to fit over anything else I have and yes, you are back to hanging somewhere. You can still rig up a situation where you have a fabric backdrop then hang the 1/2 form but crop the photo as far down as you can to eliminate the hook showing. Do you have a nice light colored wall with good lighting where you can set up and attach a nail even that you can crop off and still use your 1/2 form?

Light coming from behind will make your form and dress dark. It is best to have indirect natural light from a window or something to the side or in front. I am lucky to have sky lights in my studio so I can use my overhead lights along with it and the color isn't yellow. Be careful with plastic shower curtains. I am not sure how the plastic will photograph, could make a shine. The last thing you want is for them to look like well, shower curtains. Can you find an inexpensive plain fabric one? Do you have a fabric shop nearby? If you do use the "lay on the floor"method, do not do it on a carpet or it looks tacky, at least I think it does, because it *looks* like it is on the floor and has that ick factor. (is her carpet clean? etc.)

Julia

morning-glorious likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Totally agree with that! I photograph on a large sheet of paper if I'm doing this, or a piece of heavy fabric, or anything that looks clean.

4. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Yes, that's the way to do it! I knew you didn't do it on carpet Ruth, :)

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  5. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I have exactly one patio door and 2 small windows. It's just a little 850 sq ft. condo.

I saw a real nice cloth shower curtain liner. Not shiny at all and it came in off-white and I think a light blue. The only place I can do the tension rod idea is inside the patio door.

The first picture is of my patio door and the second is of the sliding doors to my laundry area. I can hang the curtain over either one of these, I think.

PatioDoor.jpg LaundryRoom.jpg

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I photograph inside patio doors like yours; when the sun is shining brightly I have full length light canvas curtains that I draw and this diffuses the light nicely and removes shadows, my setup is directly opposite this, so the natural light falls on the front. You will find good daylight has a nice warmth, too late and you start to get a blue hue to your photo. Is there a wall or doors opposite your patio doors you can put the fabric/curtain on? even if it means just hooking it over the door - the background you give your photographing area can also help to reflect light and remove shadows, and keep the colour of your subject true.

7. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

No wall across from patio door. It's just open straight through the living room to the kitchen. I was just going to use a tension rod inside the door frame and hang the curtain from that.

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

When you say open, there's not a couple of foot of dividing wall either side? (you could put a tension rod between this the same way you're thinking of inside the door frame) If not, perhaps a folding screen that could also be covered with fabric if need be?

9. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

The folding screen was another idea. Don't know where to find one, though. Need something very lightweight so I can slip it behind the sofa or something like that when not it use.

10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I'm glad you made the point, though. I do see sellers photographing on carpet and it's really off putting.

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

You have received some good advice here. I just went back and looked at the Dache' again and this time looked at all the photos. I am pretty sure that the reason it did not get any bids is the condition of the interior of the hat, which was very badly soiled and yellow stained. Sorry to say, but it has that "ick" factor that makes collectors shy away, and it could not be worn in that condition. The inside ribbon needs replacement as it is too badly soiled, and the lining needs serious cleaning.

But is is a very lovely hat on the outside.

12. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Wow, it looks like you have a nice green view from your patio. I'd try a dress form and take her right outside. Shoot when the light is diffused, slightly overcast or behind the condo so there are no harsh shadows. Otherwise I'd hang the fabric shower curtain over the laundry room doors.

And - good deal on the steamer! Can't go wrong for $20!

13. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

I agree with Morning Glory and it looks like there is a sweet white fence out there? If that doesn't work, what about the tension rod on the outside of your patio sliders then facing toward the house? Do you have room to stand back to shoot? Overcast bright days are perfect for shooting your photos outside in natural light. You may have to take photos at several angles and in the various locations and look at the finished photos with a critical eye to see what looks the nicest and shows off your clothing the best. Taking good photos is hard work isn't it!

14. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Everyone has offered such great suggestions here!.
    I have a very small space to take photos that is also my costume making area- but I bought a double curtain rod- so I have one black curtain on one rod and one white one on the other- both on curtain rings. I just bought cheap sheeting to use for the curtains. I sewed Velcro across each curtain a metre from the bottom, so that I can lengthen the curtains onto the floor if needed for longer things or trousers, but get them out of the way and off the floor too.
    I use the Picasa photo programme a lot for etsy- it makes it easier to edit photos into a square, and you can also join 2 pics together, or make a collage if you want too.
    As Jen said, You really need those tags on etsy ,and the banner is also really important- without them no one will find you, and the more interesting your shop appears the better you will do .

15. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I use infranview. Is it possible to edit photos into a square there?

16. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Yes, when you chose "resize" from their menu, instead of checking one of their pre-sized boxes, you can manually enter the size you want.

17. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Doesn't that distort the shape? For instance, a long dress in a square box will make it squatty.

Here's a picture sized for ebay. It is 1600 x 2360

PinkChiffon.jpg

18. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Hi, what you need to do is back up and take a large regular shot, don't turn the camera sideways, (I think its called landscape view or some such...) that way you will have a rectangle to work with to crop it to the proper size and not lose the image. If you resize that image I believe it will just crop out the top and bottom and you will not have a very good shot of your dress for a first etsy shot. The other four can be any size but your first one draws buyers in so you want that one to be the best. It can certainly be a close-up shot if that is the best. Many of us vary that first shot depending on the garment and how it shows best.

19. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

PinkChiffonsquared.jpg

I am not sure how your photos work...but I have squared this off in photoshop elements by making the canvas area the same size and then
    resizing it to 500 x 500...You can see the squaring very well because it is white. It is just slightly darker than the background
    coloring here.

20. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Oh, yes, great idea Mary Jane. That is above my talents on Mac photo, but I guess Picmonkey, my free online editor of choice for collages would have this. Totally saves having to retake any photos too.