1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing vintage present

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Midge, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I have to share this! My best friend gave me another great vintage present... a cookie tin full of great vintage ties - I'm guessing 60s to 90s, all from the same estate. Mostly silk, made in Italy, Austria and Switzerland. Labels by Angelo Litrico, Fred Adlmüller, Sphinx (Austrian brand) and Runci (from Rome). Some to keep, some for my Etsy shop - and certainly a lot to be researched and learned (and questions to be asked here too)! What fun!

vintageties.jpg
    ... and the deal is, that for my friends' husband lovingly rolling up all these ties, that next year I fill the tin with Christmas cookies for him :hysterical:.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great gift and also nice idea to "tin" them. He must have had some of your great looking and tasting cookies before!

3. Midge

Oh yes, he has had them before.... :) and he's one of those guys who seem to be able to eat anything without putting on weight. And I've given them some interesting ties too last year - for him or her to wear. We're girls who love great ties and wear them too :hysterical:.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  4. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I know I not posted for years I just had to ask Midge this:- I can understand why you like these ties and will to sell some, keeping some - I did not have you down as a wearer of ties is this a style change?

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

How are you Pauline? I had been wondering if you were alright.
    Marian

6. Midge

Nice to "see" you, Pauline :hiya:. The tie idea isn't so new. But sometimes I wear them as belts too - my friend's idea. I have this black 50s day dress that I like to wear with colorful accessories. My (modern second-hand) Hermès tie in shades of pink, dark red and yellow makes for a nice color pop and works nicely with other accessories. I don't wear a lot of blouses/shirts, I admit...

7. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Hi Marian , I fine thank you I just not much time available , last year I took my Dad 165 time for his leg to be dresses at the hospital which is almost a morning each time.
    I bought the occasional vintage item over the years, running out of storage space now.

Midge, I have a UK friend who looks great with a vintage man's suit, tie and white blouse, looks very stylish but still keeping it a feminine look with heels and makeup,
    so I just thinking that's a style you might also be wearing occasionally.

8. Midge

That sounds like a great look! I don't have any men's suits but I am always looking for ideas about how to wear my ties :). Funny enough, I don't wear a lot of classic blouses, and I don't own a single white blouse... with my pantsuits, I mostly just wear a nice cashmere sweater.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I knew a very elegant older woman vintage dealer who wore men's neckties loosely knotted midway on her blouse or on the bodice of a dark dress. I have also seen 3 ties braided together to form a unique sash. A nice way to add color and pattern.
    Marian

10. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

It's a good lookk done a lot in the 1920's so there nothing new there just good style

11. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Hi Pauline -- Haven't seen you awhile and wanted to say 'hello' :)

Great ties, Karin. Your friend has a great eye!

12. Lucky You, Karin! I have always thought that ties were so interesting. The silk material is often so lovely and these look like a really nice assortment.

13. Midge

Definitely! At one of the thrifts we visited on my recent trip, there was a big old trunk full of ties. We spent a lot of time going through it - and had some great laughs!