1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. what an amazing product! i use it alot to clean, but yesterday we had no power off and on all day from Tornadoes, high winds, tons of rain, so i decided to be productive.

i had a huge pile of lingerie from an estate of a lady who smoked.

seperated, and soaked them in the sink with baby shampoo and amonia.

the stuff is AMAZING. the water was disgusting from all the residue it removed, but the nightgowns are so beautiful now, and clean and fresh!!!

2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Von, thanks for the tip! I recently read that ammonia can be good for removing old stains, and I have some lingerie that has age spots and old blood stains. I'll give a try, as I've been putting off laundering this lingerie for lack of knowing what to use on it!

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

yep, we use ammonia on alot of laundry. it even helps loosen up the grimey oily crap on Bruce's jeans after working on his heavy construction equipment.

4. Ann, use peroxide on the blood stains.. it removes them even if they are really old!

me too, mary.. i just automatically add it to the washer anymore. :)

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Peroxide would not remove the color? I've never tried it but will definitely keep it in mind.

6. Mary Jane, no.. but make sure you use the Hydrogen peroxide.. like for cuts, NOT the hair peroxide. :)

hair peroxide will definately bleach anything.

i have a baby toothbrush, and just apply it with that, let it soak a minute and rinse. Once in a great while it takes a second application, but i have never not have a blood stain come out.
    von

7. Great tips ladies! Thank you :headbang:

Nicole

8. chanellabelle

chanellabelle Registered Guest

Oooh, I will definitely try ammonia on a 80s cocktail dress I have here. It has some sticky residue near the collar. I was afraid to try anything to aggressive; it's such a beautiful dress. Thanks so much for the tips!

9. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

10. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

This is great to know. I've never used ammonia on anything but I will be now. Thanks Von!