1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ann Rowley of The Great British Sewing Bee

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Lynn Mally, Apr 24, 2013.

1. nimnim90

nimnim90 Registered Guest

(Am new and perusing the threads) ...thought I'd say I'm pleased Ann won, but was inspired by the SteamPunk guy; didn't realise there was such a scene even though it doesn't seem that long ago that I was into all that....!

(oh, and it was SB that helped reinvigorate my vintage interest :))

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Steampunk seems to go on and on - I liked that guy too. I loved it when he said he'd never sewn a zip before, because all his clothing was inspired by earlier eras!

3. Retro Ruth

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I watched this too (I get BBC, ITV and all that here :)). I watched the first episode before I left on my trip and recorded the rest. In the end, I had to watch all three episodes in a row! I thought from the beginning that Ann would win. No question... She's great! I however thought too that the time frames were a bit too tight. I was just fascinated, I could never do these things with that little time.

Karin

5. I can't wait to see this now! Of course the best sewers are going to be the older ladies: these days sewing is about cutting corners and no hand work. Most of our grandmas were terrific with a needle and thread.

Ha! I just realised that neither of mine were, nor any of the other women in my family. It seems that I do not get my love of sewing and fabrics from them.

6. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I love love this series- I still have the final episode to watch yet. I do think that Anne had an unfair advantage- I would have like her to have some tougher competition myself. The time lines are really intense - especially on a domestic sewing machine. And tell me- why aren't they over locking everything? they have one there for petes sake, I saw loads of raw seam finishes in those A-line skirts especially. My favourite challenge so far was the men's trousers, I felt so bad for them that they couldn't figure out which whey the fly went.
    I wanted they costume guy to win so badly- I was so sad when he had to go ;(

7. Midge

I thought the costume guy was great too! And the men's trousers - yes... I've made more than one pair of shorts with a zip fly for myself, but I admit I wouldn't know which side opening was right if you asked me! :hysterical: I always need instructions for that, but if you have them and follow them correctly, it's actually not that complicated, and they've all come out nicely. I would just never have been able to do it in that little time.
    Good point about overlocking - I would never leave a raw seam edge anywhere! First lesson I learned. And probably another reason why I would take more time!

Nicole - same thing on my mother's side of the family. They rarely had time for such things anyway. Mending things is probably what was mostly done. But my mom, her brother, their cousin (and her daughters) - they all sew and are extremely creative, and my cousin and I do our things too. Though my cousin doesn't sew a lot, she's generally very "crafty"... and her brother who for a long time was the computer geek cliché come true is showing some very un-computer-geek-like tendencies when it comes to style and food no less! Who knows where this came from, but there's certainly something running in the family...

Karin

8. Retro Ruth

Oooh, ooooh! There's a new series, just started.

Let's hope it's not a one horse race this time.

9. sewingmachinegirl

Oh wow Ruth-thanks for the heads up- I will have to see if I can find it on you tube :cheer:

10. Midge

11. Retro Ruth

Episode 1 was last night! I watched it on iPlayer today.

12. sewingmachinegirl

:cheer:

13. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

What did you think Ruth? Who knew Buddhists find sewing so stressful...

Min has adopted the sign language for Patrick Grant with gusto! Me too... my other half was moved to ponder what the sign language for 'barking up the wrong tree' is. Jealousy is a terrible thing!

14. Retro Ruth

I really enjoyed it! I felt sad for that guy, and he seemed interesting. They certainly go for variety of characters.

That sign language bit was so sweet. Your other half is funny, and presumably spot on. Woof!

15. Midge

VintageVendeuse, thanks for the hint! I live in Europe and I get all the BBC etc. british channels here, in fact I pay extra on my digital TV to get the whole package, but when I miss something and they don't do a repeat, there's nothing I can do... now I can catch up on this and last week's Mr. Selfridge, which my recorder inexplicably didn't record...

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.