1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any information regarding vintage English label "24® Woman"?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by modamuzesi, May 5, 2016.

1. modamuzesi

modamuzesi Registered Guest

Label says "24® Woman / Made in England". It's a 20's flapper style heavy beaded silk dress. Well made and hand finished.
    I couldn't find anything related on Google because the name is so generic.

Does anyone knows anything about this brand?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The style of labels suggest it is a brand from the 70s - 80s. The folded care labels I see a lot on 70s garments, but the revival of beaded 20s style dresses crosses over to the 80s. I would be surprised if it was actually made entirely in England for that era, I suspect it was beaded in India or similar and the beaded fabric or pieces imported to England to be sewn into garments here. If you show the entire garment we can better help with dating.
    Despite it being made in England it doesn't appear to be an English brand, as the number 24 is registered trademarked as indicated by an R which is more common for US brands than UK which tend to use 'redg.' when not manufactured recently, and I could find no UK trademark for 24. (or twenty four/ woman variants). There were however lots of US trademarks for just '24', and I was surprised to find the failed applications for the show 24 for various garments and memorabilia, which rather suggests the number was either previously trademarked and still in force or no longer trademarkable.

3. modamuzesi

modamuzesi Registered Guest

Thank you Pinkcoke!

I also wouldn't expect the beading would be done in England. Probably sewn with imported beaded fabric in England. I also. think it's from 1980's.