1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the labels on the VFG site classed as designer?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Alison_86, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Alison_86

Alison_86 Registered Guest

i've noticed that there only seems to be 'high fashion' labels listed on the A-Z, obviously i know it's impossible to feature all labels ever made, but what would you class the labels as-designer etc. just wondered as i have a few dresses by the designers mentioned, like Shubette-would that be a designer label?

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Not necessarily. Some are store labels, some are manufacturer labels where garments were copied or where there was a stable of designers who were uncredited. Yet others were firms that had a house designer who became well enough known to get their name on the label at some point. Or there might be 2 -3 designers, say one for evening wear, one for day and one for evening wear.

Hollis

3. There are an enormous number of labels and the label resource will never cover them all - at present it has all sorts from very high end (haute couture) to high street labels, but it can never be complete. For example, there aren't many Australian labels there so I've given myself the task to improve that.

Whilst technically, most fashion labels would be designed by a "designer", it comes down to what you define as "designer" in the context of "designer label". There's a lot of misuse of this term. I'm not familiar with the label "Shubette" but if you feel that they manufacture clothes of a high to very high quality, that retail at prices to match: I would think that you could use the term.

N

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I am sure Lizzie can attest to this, but labels end up in the label resource not because of an arbitrary classification of being from a high end designer or not. (Heck, even some labels were from clothing meant to be disposable, too) It's because all of the elements came together. 1) Someone had a garment where an accurate date or timeframe of production could be determined. 2) They were able to take a clear photo or scan of the label, making the image usable 3) There was someone who could find enough information to write an accurate biography of the designer or company. Sometimes these were the same person, sometimes all different. Sometimes bios are updated as more info becomes available, or some have co-authors. Of course, hopefully. Of course, hopefully more labels are added as examples from other contributors as well.

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

the term "designer" is SO often mis-used as a keyword or tag ~ honestly, it makes me crazy how so MANY will have in their title "designer" when in fact it is a collaborative team, or manufacturer or a dressmaker, not a true designer.

and, truth be told, there are alot of "recognized" designers, such as Ralph Lauren, for example, who in my mind is more of a stylist than a TRUE designer as he has very successfully put together collections of beautiful garments, most which incorporate classic pieces without any signature element, such as Dior's new look, or Claire McCardell's monastic dress, or Fortuny's fabulous pleats.

6. Alison_86

Alison_86 Registered Guest

i have a dollyrockers by sambo dress, what would this be classed as? i need a category heading for my website you see where items like this will be featured, but when i think of designer brands i imagine chanel etc. thanks

7. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Why not classify things by decade or by fashion movement or item?

A "dresses" category or a "60s" category" or a "mod" or a category?" Not everythings fits so neatly into "designer/not designer". I think it also depends on how much you have. If you have 10 items, when you add so many categories it makes you look like you don't have so much with 1 item on a page. But if you have 1,000 things, then categories matter.

I'd wait to see what others had to say.