1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are these 'sparkly bits' on this 1950s purse Marcasite?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Jan 26, 2013.

1. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Oh I love games! Could you use a magnet to determine if they're steel? I'll say cut steel and raise you all $5. :USING:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I've got my game on! Money is on the table baby. I have a different opinion on the cut steel issue. From my experience, cut steel is individually cut "stones" which are then individually set in tiny prongs or set in "wells", just like marcasites. That is what can make them so hard to figure from a photo. Pressed steel is different....it often has faceted tops that make it look like cut steel.... until you look close and see it is all 1 piece of pressed metal. I see a lot of dealers calling their antique pressed steel buckles as "cut steel" but they are really not.

Maybe different countries use different terms?

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

:hysterical:Ok, I nearly spewed my latte macchiato all over my PC.... looking forward to see who wins the bet :). I admit I haven't a clue! For me anything like this would be "marcasites". Didn't know it could also be hematite, though, thinking of it, it makes perfect sense! Re. cut steel, I had always thought that that was older and looked less... ah, sparkly? I remember my friend buying cut steel shoe buckles (ca. 1900 or maybe even older) at a flea market and explaining that to me. Of course the "stones" were also quite a bit bigger because they were shoe buckles.

Karin

4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

My camera has it's close up limitations but I tried to take a few under a brighter light to see if it could shed some.

Attached Files:

5. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

the photos do not reflect just how sparkly they are...with a lot of blue and pinky reflected light.

6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

at the risk of photo overkill I took some outside just now....lets you see the setting a bit better

Attached Files:

7. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Alrighty then! I'd say our odds are better than Vegas, so Rita, I'll match your $5 and a Snickers bar (since there's still one left), and Barbara I'll raise another dollar on you. So let's go hog wild and bet the full $3!

We're still waiting on Julie to see if she's in, because another 2 bucks and I can buy a Maximo Macchiato Extra-ordinato with Madagascar Vanilla Bean Cream at Starbucks. You in Karin? ;) Great photos Lauren.

8. joules

joules VFG Member

Waiting for the magnet test, and may we see the entire handbag please, Lauren?

9. Midge

10. joules

joules VFG Member

Although the magnet test would be inconclusive, now that I think about it.
    Steel can be magnetic or non-magnetic, depending upon type. But just try it for fun anyway.

11. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

Seeing the closeups, I vote for marcasite too! LOL, this is a great way to start the morning with this fun thread.

12. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

here are a few

Attached Files:

13. Midge

14. Metro Retro Vintage

Votes

Marcasite -- 5
    Cut Steel -- 4

Beer/Gin Money -- $15.00 (I think)

This is going to be close!

15. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

Ok--I am a flip-flopper. Agree-these are marcasites. The age of the bag and the uniform cuts of the stones make me think so.
    Do I have to pay twice now??? :hysterical:

16. Metro Retro Vintage

We'll let you slide this time Tiffany, lol.

The Marcasite votes are gaining. Are you Steel Cut people starting to sweat yet?

;)

17. joules

joules VFG Member

Well, if the magnet does stick, then we can rule out marcasite (pyrite). Right?

We shall see. :)

I had that thought too, Tiffany, as we often see cut steel with older bags. Hmmm...

18. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Now how did you know I loved Snickers bars Laura?

I call, want that chocolate bar...

19. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Magnet Test: Negative....not magnetic

20. MissRita

MissRita Guest

I fold - well there goes $7 and a snickers bar - thanks a lot Laura.

I swear she had an ace up her sleeve.