1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are these 'sparkly bits' on this 1950s purse Marcasite?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Go Deborah go!

I think marcasite only wins if we 'all' pay into the pot. Otherwise, the cut steel donations will only cover a few bottles of Spring water. ;)

2. May I have two gins, Nicole?

Whoever wins, I'll sweeten the pot :)

3. Deborah, you can have as many gins as your pocket can afford!

I hope we haven't scared Lauren off? This may have been a little more enthusiasm than she was expecting!

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Lauren, I hope we haven’t chased you away, as we've simply been having some silly fun. :)

An easy way to tell between the two, although they are very similar in appearance, is noting that marcasite is a stone (actually pyrite and varietals, since ‘marcasite’ is a misnomer) and cut steel a metal alloy -- and so they're going to be treated differently.

The former will be cut like a stone and placed in a setting. While steel is going to be cut as a stud (like a nail head), so that it pierces the item and then secured via riveting on the reverse (if the purse allows for checking the back of the trim, this is one way to check).

And then there are those imitation cut steel metal strips that are simply stamped to look like individual studs.

If you look closely at cut steel (you may want to google), you’ll notice how round and multi-faceted the surface of the studs are, while marcasite has fewer facets and is most often rose cut (a point on top of the stone).

Now, if you look closely at your purse, you’ll be able to see those rose cut stones (see the points?) in their settings with beaded prongs. It’s quite beautiful, and I know you’ll do well with it.

Thanks for playing along everyone – and for those needing to pay their bar tab, the VFG accepts PayPal...
    https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...63663d3faee8d0b7e678a25d883d0fa72c947f193f8fd

(If the above doesn't work, there's a "Make a Donation" button on the front page, right column).

5. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Not in the slightest, I try to have at least 3 acts of silly fun a day. Very informative and interesting discussion! thank you all for the fun help.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

OK, interesting about the rose points....I guess I lose....but does that mean the VFG only gets a few dollars after all? I will make my donation right now, and up it to $3. Maybe that buys Laura a beer at happy hour!

7. Metro Retro Vintage

It's never too early for happy hour! [​IMG] Thank you Barbara!