1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you NEW?? Introduce Yourself!! 2006-2014

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by Patentleathershoes, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

:hiya: Hello Louise!

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Christine,

Welcome to the site! Do you have any photos from your recent Victorian and Edwardian undies exhibition? I am sure we would all love to have a peek!

3. NovaFashions

NovaFashions VFG Member

Hello & Welcome from Canada Christine! :)

Some pictures of the exhibition would be wonderful if you have any.

4. nolly

nolly Registered Guest

hello..
    Newbie checking in..My real name is Donna..Nollynonno is my daughters nick name!!!
    I live in Burlington Ontario Canada but am an import from London England.
    My experience with vintage started from birth really, being born 1965 at the hub of Portabella market. Treasure hunt was on every weekend. My great nans were like chalk and cheese one sewed for royalty one sold vintage from a pram on the corner of Kensington..growing up pretty poor mum had to sell her sewing machine one year to buy groceries so with that sticking in my mind and my prized possession Daisy doll (from Mary Quant) & the hours spent ripping and cutting up bits and bobs to make clothes for my mini model..design stayed in my heart hence creating my own line of vintage inspired clothing.
    After having children I found the mini empire I had built was too much to hold up and be mum, I also gained carpel tunnel from the constant use of wrists while cutting and heaving huge bolts of fabrics... so choose mum & gave my wrists a break.
    My desire and passion for fashion has always been centred around vintage (60's being in my heart) yet studying & loving film Noir & 1940's 50's movies since a child, have you ever watched an old film? you can find out so much about fashion from doing so..
    I do have contacts in London where I sell my finds but also sell on ebay, when I can..I have a basement full of Vintage but just havent got around to taking pics of them all!!!! can you relate?....lol
    cheers everyone

5. nolly

nolly Registered Guest

Hello Louise,
    I have heard of the 'cats Meow', I will have to pop in and meet you!..now I have a question for you, Do you know the name of the little Vintage clothing shop next to 'Courage my love' if its still there? I had a boyfriend at the time who run that shop..he lived upstairs in the little atic, one time I remember a shipment of vintage clothing was dropped in a heap and we dressed up all night... I will leave it at that...lol

6. zufan

zufan Registered Guest

Hi guys-

Another newbie from London ...

I have been searching for a place to network with vintage fashion dealers and fans alike..perhaps i have arrived.
    I am a vintage clothing dealer (mainly 50's up to 70's) going on to 7 years . I closed up shop in San Francisco a couple of years ago and moved to London with my wife . I have been going back and forth between London and San Francisco to bring back my old stock to sell out here ...However i am seriously exploring the idea of looking for vintage within Europe...i know , i know, its not as plentifull as in the States...but i am sure there must be some decent sources in the European continent . I would like to network with other dealers or private collectors who go "picking" in the UK or Europe.

I know my inquiry might sound naive to some who might consider this information to be "trade secret" but if anyone has an open mind and would like to network...maybe even hook-up to go picking in and around the UK...i will galdly share the cost with anyone...anyway if anyone is interested, or might have some suggestions please let me know.

Cheers
    Zufan

7. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Welcome from Southern Illinois! So glad to have you.

We have a lot of UK members who will probably be checking in soon.

8. NovaFashions

NovaFashions VFG Member

Greetings from Canada Zufan! :)

9. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Hello from a fellow Londoner!! :hiya:

Liz

10. Hattysattic

Hello Zufan!

Do you sell anywhere in particular in the UK now? I have to say for a lot of stuff bringing it over from the states makes sense to me, but I suppose it must be quite a hassle. Welcome aboard (from a bit further up North!), am sure you'll get some advice here! :)

11. zufan

zufan Registered Guest

Thanks for the welcome you guys.

I mainly sell to Vintage store oweners in Japan. Yes the logistics of flying to California to hunt for vintage is a hassle..thats why i would like to focus on getting stock here in Europe..the airfare would be a major savings to start with.

Is there anyone here that sells at the stalls/markets in London ?

Has anyone gone picking outside of the UK ? I was wondering if any of the other European countries were better pickings...i know there is a lot of ntique clothing dealers around here but that is not what i deal with..i am mainly into 50's/60's clothing.

Cheers
    Zu

12. Hattysattic

I've not done so myself but would love to go for weekends buying in Europe! I know Holland and France are supposed to be pretty good for vintage in the bigger cities (much as with anywhere cosmopolitan I suppose), and have found quite a few vintage shops reviewed online in Paris and Amsterdam. What I'm not sure of though is the price you'd be paying, as you'd need to know where to seek out the good stuff without paying over the odds..

A quick trip to Paris to go exploring has crossed my mind - would be especially easy from London with the eurostar - and then even if fruitless you can cross it off the list and just enjoy croissants and, well, being in France for the weekend! Sadly until the years of slow accumulation have been dealt with is a big No from my husband, who I think imagines me pulling up to the house with a taxi full of suitcases :D

What I can say is that I failed miserably this last week in Portugal to buy anything vintage (but then I wasn't anywhere remotely big).

13. zufan

zufan Registered Guest

Thanks for that heads up Hattysattic-

You know whats really strange is that all the buyers for main Vintage stores in San Francisco (and i've dealt with almost all of them) claim to get their gear FROM EUROPE. I know this German guy who has a chain of upscale vintage stores and he supposedly gets container-loads of stuff from the European continent...but ofcourse i cant verify this info..but whenever i do go back to bring stock, i always chat with the managers who always tell me " they are waiting on a shipment from Europe" ...so that is why i wanted to do research for possible locations here...one place that has popped up is Germany and Belgium(antwerp)...the theory with Germany was that because of all the American G.I's stationed here since the war, there was a lot of clothes " left over " if you will...but i dont know if that holds any truth...the latter because its a major port city and as such..a lot of goods flow through...again i have no confirmation of either.

Portugal huh ? How is that place ?..i've been told its one of the " friendliest" places to visit..warm people etc.

Ive heard Paris does have vintage/art deco stuff but VERY expensive..especially if you plan to re-sell.

14. Hattysattic

Portugal is fantastic Zufan, the people were fantastic and so nice to my 3 year old son that it made the holiday for me - a marked difference to holidays in this country where you do sometimes feel they wished you'd not brought him with you!

I heartily recommend it :)

15. Lucille1963

Lucille1963 Registered Guest

Hi my name is Nicole. I discovered your site a few months ago and have used the Label Resourse numerous times. It wasn't until yesterday that I realized that there were message boards.

I fell in love with vintage in 1989 just as I was about to start high school. Seventeen magazine did a spread on Mod fashion and I was facinated. I begged my mother to take me to the mall to buy some new clothing but instead she took me to the local Salvation Army and said "find it". The rest is history.

Currently my favorite clothing decade is the 50's and I am quite lucky to be able to wear some horribly beautiful things and make a couple pennies off ebay under the name Lucille1963.

I look forward to getting to know you all better.

16. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Hi Louise!
    Hi Donna!

Hi Nicole! We are probably about the same age...I was obsessed with platforms then. (whoopps..i still am into them) and chain belts, but i was torn between that and the 40s look.

Chris

17. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

18. Lucille1963

Lucille1963 Registered Guest

Oops! I'm sorry I didn't link myself.

Thank you so much for the welcome. I am so happy that I found this board. I dreamed of platform shoes, but I never really found the right pair back then.

I can't complain though, I bought a great 40's pair over the weekend with ankle straps and butterfly shaped cut outs that fit like they were custom. Everything in good time:)

19. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Trying to play catch up here! Hello to Louise, Nicole and Donna. Post away and ask questions. We love to talk vintage.

:hiya:

20. Hattysattic

Welcome aboard!! :clapping:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.