1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B. Clemo (Betty Clemo) Movie Costume Designer Clothing Label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Cynthia Morrison, May 11, 2016.

1. Cynthia Morrison

Cynthia Morrison Registered Guest

I found this incredible jacket. It looks to be made of silk brocade.
    The label is "B. Clemo" and I traced it to Betty Clemo, who was the assistant costume designer (1) or costume consultant (2) for several movies:

From Wikipedia: "In 1962 she started her own fashion brand, Betty Clemo, and set up a boutique called Betty Clemo's Couture at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong.[6] Generally regarded one of the first fashion designers in Hong Kong,[7] she was the first to introduce Paris haute couture to Asia by importing licensed line-to-line adaptions of Paris haute couture fashions to Hong Kong."

Her fashion company was carried on by her family, but I don't think this is a modern design or creation. It doesn't have modern tags or washing instructions, and looks to be hand tailored.

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Interesting label, I've never seen it before. It looks 60s to me with the shawl styled collar, let's see what other have to say.

Cynthia Morrison likes this.
  3. Hard to say without seeing it, but it looks modern to me. In searching I see this label was around in the 90s.
    It is very pretty though.

Cynthia Morrison likes this.
  4. Cynthia Morrison

I couldn't find the label anywhere when I searched. Where did you find it? The one jacket I found didn't show the label.

Here are some closeups. The snaps are covered and sewn on by hand. The buttonholes are bound and handstitched on the back. The buttons look older.

Attached Files:

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Can you show it modelled or on a mannequin please? It looks a little like a 1980s jacket I own but it's hard to tell the shape when seen flat.

6. Yes, seeing it on a form or modeled will help. I have a jacket/sweater coat from 2000 with those snaps.

7. Cynthia Morrison

Here it is on a dress form. I can upload a bigger file if you need it.

Attached Files:

8. Thank you. It looks very modern to me, maybe 2000 - 2009.
    But this is just guessing without being able to see it.

9. Cynthia Morrison

It has to be from 2002 or before. The company dissolved in 2002.
    If it were modern, wouldn't it have washing/care instructions, fabric content, and manufacturer information by law?