1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Guest

III

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
  2. miss-m

miss-m Registered Guest

I have nothing to offer in the way of how to care for bakelite but just wanted to say ..... I'd never heard of a Philadelphia bracelet as I am mostly a clothing buyer who stumbles upon jewelry in my quest for clothing and whoa.... they are cool. You've now given me something else to add to my list of "holy grails." Thanks for the inspiration!

3. arb243

arb243 Registered Guest

I've been harboring a Bakelite question for a while, and figure this might be a good thread in which to ask it. Bakelite is pretty much just phenol and formaldehyde, and like lead and so many other nasty substances to which people were readily exposing themselves way back when, we now know that formaldehyde is really unhealthy stuff. As of 2011, the US national toxicology program finally moved it into the "known to be a human carcinogen" category, and it's been a suspected carcinogen for far longer. And Bakelite bracelets like that are sitting right up against the skin.

So the question: is Bakelite a carcinogen? I've passed over a few pieces of real stuff in favor of fakes that don't pass the "should smell like formaldehyde when you rub it" test for that reason. If there's something about the process that makes Bakelite less scary than I've been thinking, I would so love to be wrong on this one!!

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

That's a very good question. I suspect that it's fine, since it's not a product that's being inhaled or ingested at this point. Carvers did in fact suffer many ill effects and cancers, since the asbestos was released into the air whenever a piece was on the sanding wheel.

However, like most plastics and items that we wear, my guess is that the chemicals are unlikely to leach unless they are let's say, heated or immersed (like those plastic water bottles perhaps) or disturbed (e.g. cutting) in some way.

For the Love of MCM likes this.
  5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Laura. I think the problem with Bakelite is inhaling it while it is being worked - not wearing it. I wear Bakelite bangles almost daily and it's very rare that I can "smell" it unless I rub it hard and do a "sniff" test.

I mix and match Bakelite and Lucite with just "plain" old plastic to match whatever I am wearing and the rest of my jewelry.

Linn

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I agree with Linn and Laura, and wonder if the primary danger wasn't from the inhaled dust... Bakelite is still used for pot handles, so it must be safe even when it gets a little hot!

Your "buddy" pin collection is fabulous, Linda! And I agree--those 80s earrings fit right in.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I love the cube pieces, especially the 2nd pendant styled one, Linda!

8. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

They are delightful! I can see why you love her work!

9. Metro Retro Vintage

Nice rescues Linda.

One of our members here has dead stock Martha Sleepers with the original hang tags. She doesn't post often, but maybe if she sees this, she'll share them with you.

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

11. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I would like to add a side note to this thread if I may.
    It is on bakelite and it of course is a distinct product but....

I sold a book on plastics way back and remember the book showed many, many types of plastics back then. It was a new exciting field. My point is one may not really know what something is that looks plastic to them. Catalin etc...Hope this makes sense.

12. foofoogal

I do not think so. I will see if I can find it again.

13. Left-Eye-Lisa

Left-Eye-Lisa Registered Guest

I stumbled on this forum the other day and had to join in, this topic of collecting Bakelite delights me so much. Thanks for all of the great input and info. On the safety of Bakelite, I was going to ask if anyone else has had this happen? When I wear sunscreen or lotion and then am warmed up or clammy, I get yellow stains on my arm just the color of yellow when a simichrome test is done on a q-tip. These stains are quite hard to get off. While that hasn't stopped me from wearing my bangles, it does make me concerned that those carcinogens are leaching in through my skin. But maybe it's more of a chemical reaction with the built up oxidation that has taken place over the years.....thoughts?

14. foofoogal

This is the book I had mentioned I had sold earlier in this thread. Sorry it took it being revived for me to remember. A nice book with all kinds of plastics. There were 100s of plastics as it was a new invention and it took awhile to get things stable.
    Not sure Lisa about your ?

I am sure a jewelry dealer will be able to answer your ?
    Sandy

Attached Files:

15. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

My understanding is it that is the oxidised surface that comes off when you do a simichrome test, so presumably that is the same process that is happening to you. Whether that is a health risk if it gets on your skin, I don't know.

16. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That's lovely, Linda!

17. applesandarsenic

applesandarsenic Registered Guest

I hope this is an appropriate venue for my question/share....

First I had one, Now I have two.
    I bought the first cuff at a local goodwill (SCORE!!) and tried to do some research and came up with nothing. It appears to be brass and bakelite. It passed the smell test and had a local dealer confirm its bakelite. The dealer also told me she had not seen anything similar to it.

Last weekend I was at a collectable show and was FLOORED when I saw a dealer with the EXACT cuff. We talked about it for a while and where finally able to come to price that seemed fair for us both. I had to complete the set!!

Now, I have two of the same cuff, and know virtually nothing about them. I assume they are 30's? The only difference I can find between the two is the patina. One looks to have not been cleaned in sometime, possibly ever. I will try to post side by side comparison later today, but here is the one I have at home!

I would to hear your thoughts!
    Thanks!!

DSC01036.JPG DSC01039.JPG DSC01040.JPG DSC01041.JPG DSC01042.JPG DSC01044.JPG DSC01037.JPG DSC01038.JPG

Pinkcoke likes this.
  18. Metro Retro Vintage

Oh wow, what a score! And two no less! Sometimes when two of something are spotted in short succession, it can raise a red flag, lol, but from the pic, it looks great. I'd say you're on the money, as Bakelite and metal combos usually point to 30's.

19. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Fabulous!

I agree with 1930's. Look forward to seeing them side by side.

Linn

20. applesandarsenic

applesandarsenic Registered Guest

Here they are side by side!
    Thanks!

DSC01048.JPG
    DSC01049.JPG DSC01050.JPG DSC01051.JPG DSC01053.JPG