1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books and Label Resource

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Linn, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have several books in my library that were not on the list Lei presented a few days ago. One of my favorites is "New York Fashion: The Evolution of American Style" by Caroline Rennolds Milbank. I also really think the series Everyday Fashions from the Sear's Catalogs are very helpful in dating pieces. I have all of them from the 1920's -1960's. I also like Ellie Laubner's "Fashions of the Roaring '20's" and "Fashions of the Turbulent Thirties". I'll post more later. I agree with Karin about the Kyoto Fashion book - excellent.

I am working on a fundraiser for the Hawaii Opera Theatre. It's called "Act II" and is a sale of gently used clothing and accessories. I helped set-up yesterday and will be leaving in a little while to go back and help again. While there I tried on two dresses - one a Michael Kors and one a Carmen Marc Valvo. I am familiar with both designers but it was so helpful to look up their names in the label resource and find out when they started their businesses and in the case of Michael Kors discover that the dress is fairly recent. I highly recommend that everyone familiarize yourself with this and all of the other wonderful resources that are available on the VFG website.

Linn

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with you Linn, New York Fashion: The Evolution of American Style by Caroline Rennolds Milbank is a must in my library.

3. Siri

Siri Registered Guest

I agree mere words cannot describe this elegant visual documentary of American fashion, which focuses on the lives of New York designers both obscure and celebrated as well as their fanciful creations. Throughout, Milbank intertwines a virtual who's who of the woman's clothing industry from the early 19th century through the 1980s with the story of the rise of American department stores and ready-to-wear clothing. Beginning with the 1940s, entries are arranged alphabetically by individual designers and include brief biographical information along with their notable signature or trademark design concepts and features. A welcome addition to any type of library collection.

Since its publication in hardcover in 1989, New York Fashion has become a defining book on the story of American fashion. Covering the great changes that have taken place in the fashion world from the early 19th century to the late 20th century, Caroline Rennolds Milbank also charts the rise of the great American designers: Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and others.

4. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

Totally sold that book to me...can't wait!!

5. Thank you Linn. I've managed to order a 'used' copy of this book in paperback and in good condition for £19.99 (new price £77.77). Purchased it from usedbooksdirectuk via Amazon.co.uk. An early Christmas present to myself :clapping:

I will devour it upon arrival :) Thank you very much for posting about this. :wub:

6. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

Note to self: check Amazon! Thanks Louise! :USETHUMBUP:

7. I think there may be some used ones left. Make sure you get one from the UK though because of the postage costs. I've just received confirmation from Amazon that mines already been shipped. Happy days! :sunshine:

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I hope you enjoy the book as much as I do!

Another good source for used books is www.abebooks.com They also have sellers world-wide.

Linn

9. Kudos to you Linn! :sunshine:

10. fauxbrit13

fauxbrit13 Alumni

Book Order!

Linn! Thanks to you and Lady LuLu (Louise), I just order the New York Fashion book from ALIBRIS UK. It is a library hardback and only £12. So will see :)

Then went over to THE BOOK DEPOSITORY UK and ordered 2 EVERYDAY FASHION Sear's Catalogs from the decades 1950s & then 1960s. Will see how these turn out. I was tempted to order ALL the decades but then smacked myself...you know!

Next will be the Kyoto book :)

I used BOOKBRAIN shopbot to find the cheapest prices from several book sources!

3 cheers to the "pair of yous" (Mancunian talk!!!)
    :clapping:

11. :clapping: We shall compare notes when your books arrive. So exciting! :excited: