1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chanel suit at MCNY

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by claireshaeffer, Oct 27, 2007.

1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

As some of you know, I gave a paper for Costume Society last year about a Chanel suit at the Museum of the City of New York. The suit has no label and the paper focused on whether the suit was an original Chanel or a copy.

Writing a paper was an interesting experience because I had to document what I knew about the various elements and compare them to other suits which I have examined in museum collections as well as my personal collection. In addition to approx. 200 Chanel suits in 20 museums, I also examined about 50 copies and recent rtw.

More recently, I wrote an article for Piecework Magazine (Nov./Dec.) MCNY very generously let me use photos which I had made without charge and there are some nice detail photos of the suit. This issue of Piecework is now available.
    Claire

2. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Claire, thank you so much for posting. I need to look for this issue.

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Claire, I was in the audience at the CSA presentation you made, and it was very enlightening. I can tell you that one of the first things I did upon returning home was to check out the details of my couture Chanel ensemble!

Lizzie