1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Dior Boutique handwritten Label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by dimestore finds, Oct 16, 2016.

1. dimestore finds

dimestore finds Registered Guest

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with the Skirt I found. It has the attached handwritten label. I was hoping to find the year and any other info.

Attached Files:

2. Hi dimestore finds, and welcome to the forums. I'd be a little suspicious of those labels - firstly the hand written one seems to have been removed from a white garment, or at least it was sewn in white thread. I don't think it came from this skirt. Secondly, the Dior label also looks it is sewn in white thread. It does match a late '80s label in the LR though. Does your skirt look like it's from that era?

If you can show pics of the skirt we can help date it. Numbers on labels are internal codes not usually decipherable by outsiders, even if the labels came from this garment originally.

I can't read all of the numbers but if you can tell us what they are, or press the label and photograph clearly, it might help.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think the labels are fine - I think Nicole is seeing the threads at the edge as thread from being sewn in something else, but I think they are just frays from the tag itself. The hand written labels are put in export pieces for customs because fabric content and origin must to be declared. I have similar labels in late 20th century designer clothing - 80s and 90s, not sure if they appear in 70s clothes.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  4. Thanks Jonathan. Just enlarged the tag and I agree. The threads are from the edges unravelling.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I have also seen the handwritten fabric content labels on samples that didn't necessarily make it into full production.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I do believe I have seen that fabric content label in later 70s clothing as well from France.
    It would help to see the photo of the skirt itself to help you id the dating.