1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Flocked Fabric?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by foofoogal, Oct 22, 2012.

1. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I have a 1950s dress with black flocked design. It has some stains and I am so concerned if I get a drop of water on it the black will fade or run. Is there anyway to clean this?

2. Yes! Flocked fabric has to be handled carefully, or the flocking will come off.

The best way I've found is to hand wash in lukewarm water and mild detergent. If it's nylon the stains may not come out - good luck!

3. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

I have had no problem with washing dresses that are flocked, the most important thing I have learned from others is do not rub the fabric and handle it gently. If the fabric is handled rough, the flock will come out.

4. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

Lol, yes I agree with Nicole!

5. foofoogal

IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0966.jpg

The flocking is on a taffeta fabric. 1950s? Top is velvet.

6. Okay, taffeta....and is that a velvet bodice? I recommend dry cleaning only.

Speak to them about stain removal - if it doesn't come out, you could add some beadwork or some other detailing to cover it.

I can't tell if it's a '50s dress: do you have any more information? It could be an '80s one.

7. foofoogal

It is homemade and has a metal zipper.
    I know my source and do believe it is 50s.
    Thank you. I will ask my dry cleaners to try it.