1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

~Could someone help w/date on this dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by eyemsotired, Mar 20, 2007.

1. eyemsotired

eyemsotired Registered Guest

Hi,

I keep looking at this dress and second guessing my research.

It is silk, has a metal zipper at the back, is lined, and there are no labels.

Also, would "embossed" be the correct way to describe the fabric?

Thanks for any help you can give~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

It is 50s, mid to lateish

The fabric looks almost embroidered, or like it has woven accents, if I'm seeing it right.
    Embossed would tell me something more pressed into a fabric, like a shape, this looks to be melded with the weave.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Very lovely! It looks like sari silk to me, with metallic embroidery.

4. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

has an Indian influence, as Maggie says like a Sari fabric..the high and wide waist 'cummerband', the bust tucks and cap sleves tells me its early 50's??

5. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

That's lovely! I agree with mid 50s - I was doing some reading lately of style reports from the fifties, and I think it was 1955 when there was a real fad for all things oriental, silk sari fabric etc.

6. eyemsotired

eyemsotired Registered Guest

Thanks so much to you all~

I'm very visually oriented and it's so hard for me to verbalize what I see. Thanks to you're comments I've
    been able to add considerably to the description for this dress!

It is a lovely piece and fits me nicely, but I can't keep it as I already have too many "all dressed up and no place to go" outfits~~~

Thanks again,
    Sharon