1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

curious corset - do I have this on right?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by terrasita, May 22, 2011.

1. terrasita

terrasita Registered Guest

Hello all :)

I picked up a lot of corsets and this one is rather interesting - I'm not quite sure I have it on properly? Are the two long straps supposed to wrap underneath the crotch area like that?? Not sure what that little silver metal hook is in the middle of the back? Also, would you say this is 50s?

Hm.

Thanks!

2. terrasita

3. terrasita

4. I don't think it's sitting right - the straps should sit flat.

In the last photo you can see the straps where they are attached: I think they would cross over. If you photograph it flat (not on a mannequin) it might be easier to see how it goes, but I suspect it's upside down and should be worn as an underbodice with the straps crossing over the back and going over the shoulders.

I think it's probably a surgical corset for back support and I think the straps will not be long enough to be worn properly as they've been shortened (you can see where they were cut in the first photo).

Try photographing it on the mannequin, upside down and higher up, with the straps crossed over at back and over the shoulders and see how it looks.

Nicole

5. terrasita

Thank you! I will flip it around and see if I can figure out they way you desribed :)

6. terrasita

flipped!

Ok, this looks completely different now. :) I'm researching surgical corsets because I have not come across them before and now I have like 32 of them! Yikes! I think the rest were easier to figure out, though. Not sure why the laces are sooo long. Perhaps the wrap around the back where that little metal hook is?

7. terrasita

8. terrasita

9. Much better! I was baffled by the long laces too: if they were for a large fitting, the straps wouldn't be in the right place though. Maybe they're not the original straps? Surgical corsets are usually much bigger than this one.

I must admit that I haven't seen one like this before so I'm just guessing, but it does seem to make more sense around this way. Perhaps try it on and see if it feels comfortable and err, supportive?

Nicole

10. mingus107

mingus107 Registered Guest

Wow, Nicole! You are good!

11. Thank you mingus! It was the straps that gave it away - straps like to sit flat so they'll be sewn that way.

Nicole