1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating and History on Red Cross Uniform

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 716Vintage, Feb 14, 2011.

1. 716Vintage

716Vintage Guest

Hello!
    I am looking for help dating and on history of this american red cross uniform I found! Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

At first I though late Teens into early 20s, but the narrow belt at the relaxed waist is now leading me to early 30s.

I like the kitty tail best.

Hollis

3. joules

joules VFG Member

That's really cool! I like your pictures too.
    I'm with Hollis, with the 30s.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it might be WWII - 1940's - especially if this listing is correct: 360343816240

5. Good find Linn - and I agree with early '40s. Cotton seersucker was a popular material then too.

Nicole

6. TrickVintage

TrickVintage Registered Guest

that's awesome !

and i'm with "pastperfect2"...the kitty tail is so cute !

7. 716Vintage

716Vintage Guest

Thanks for all your answers everyone! Definitely helps me! And I love that you noticed my cat....she likes to keep me company when I'm working outside! Didn't mind that she was in the picture :)

8. ilovearc

ilovearc Registered Guest

Hello!

Not sure if you got the full 411 on this uniform but if you have not I hope this helps...

• Seersucker was approved for use with the arc uniforms starting in oct 1942 and discontinued after oct 1948. (which makes this uniform ww2).
    • This certain uniform would be used with the arc hospital and recreation corp stateside and with the military welfare service overseas.
    • they made 2 different uniform styles with this fabric, the work uniform that you have pictured and a dress style uniform.
    • this style would have had a cap made of the same material with a white cotton front, white shoulder epaulets, and white cuffs on the wrists.
    I have attached some pictures for you and if you have any questions please let me know. I have been doing American red cross re-enacting, research and collecting for a little more than 10 years now.

Picture 1 is of the dress style uniform with the military welfare service patch, picture 2 & 3 are of the cap style in plain cotton that would go with the uniform you have pictured. Picture 4 if the cotton version of the uniform that you have posted, but with a different style hat(the patch on this uniform was not something that was used in ww2 but was a later add on after 1948).

Attached Files:

9. Mentally Flossed

Mentally Flossed Registered Guest

It reminds me of the WWII, (Gray Lady) volunteer uniforms. Very Nice!!!