1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating and weave type of this welsh wool woven cape.....70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Mar 23, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hey Everyone,
    Any thoughts on a 70s date for this?
    Also, how would you describe this weave/pattern?
    Thanks for any direction.
    Lauren

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I think it's called welsh tapestry, we have a similar cape. My dream is to find one of the blankets but they're rare and expensive. Beautiful technique.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This is indeed Welsh Tapestry. It could be 60s, there was a resurgence of Welsh Tapesty then, though no earlier than 64 because of the woolmark. The label style makes me think later than earlier, but I think you'd be safe with late 60s / early 70s. That's a nice colourway.

I have a blanket, in red black and cream! I can't bear to sell it. Or to use it, because it's fabulous and I don't want my cats near it. One day I'll have to make the decision to sell or keep.

I love Welsh Tapestry.

4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks to both of you.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Technically you could say it is an 'overshot' or 'double woven' pattern - and Welsh clothing made from this material as an export fashion was hugely popular in the mid 1970s (1974-76.) Somewhere long ago I had an excellent article on these but I can't find it now. There was some reason they were especially popular in that time frame -- nationalism and exporting things to compensate for coal strikes, or something like that... it was a great article. I will see if I can find it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Interesting and informative.....and that pretty well sums up the Vintage Fashion Guild......oh, and Fabulous.