1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Stuart Weitzman Label on Shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acvintage, Apr 8, 2013.

1. acvintage

acvintage Registered Guest

Hello ~ Can someone date this Stuart Weitzman label? I think I've found every label except this one. Shoe size is 9B and outsole is "Leather Sole, Stuart Weitzman & Co., Made in Spain". Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It's down in the trade mark records as first being used in 1986 here.

3. acvintage

Thank you for the quick response. Do you think these are late 80's or later? They came with a bunch of shoes I purchased. Some definitely vintage but some look brand new like these.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would have said these were 1980s, can you show the sole stamp?

5. acvintage

YES. Thanks so much for your help.
    [​IMG]

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I missed the 'Made in Spain' before, now I'm thinking they are more contemporary...The leather symbol stamp is popular on late 70's to 80's shoes, but I would have expected them to be made in Italy if they were 80's. A lot of leather shoes made today are from Spain.
    They might well be a more classic design for the older lady, using the 1980's style that was popular when they were younger.
    Personally, I would contact the company and ask if they have the records or can tell you the date from the code inside. They are recent enough to do this.

7. acvintage

Thank you - I'll email the company with that code. If I get a response, I'll come back with the info.

8. joules

joules VFG Member

Stuart Weitzman manufactures in Spain, according to the Wikipedia entry:

"When Seymour Weitzman died in 1965, Stuart took over the business with his older brother, Warren Weitzman. They sold the business to a company in Spain in 1972, but Stuart continued to design shoes for the company. In 1994, he bought back the business, but continues to manufacture his shoe designs in Spain."

9. acvintage

Thx Joules. I found the same info. Can you take a guestimate as to whether these are late 80s, 1990s or 2000? I know they are before 2011 because that's when I purchased them - HA!

10. joules

joules VFG Member

Really not entirely sure, but I'd guess post 2000, with that metallic copper / burgundy color, and the look of the rosette, with that netting trim.

Melanie's idea, to contact the firm, is a good one.