1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating this suit skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NinaN, Mar 24, 2017.

1. NinaN

NinaN Registered Guest

I'm flummoxed. I thought this suit skirt was from the 1930's but now I'm having doubts so I thought I'd turn to you all--the experts.
    As you can see, the skirt fastens with eye-thread closures on the left side.
    The top fastens with snaps.
    No zippers to be found.

Sturdy fabric...not sure what kind, but seems to fall in line with the frugal, sturdy clothes of the 30's
    Embellished yoke (thin soutache or passementerie), shorter, nipped-waist jacket both indicative of
    the 30's
    The silhouette also seems to be 30's or 40's

I've turned the skirt inside out, so you can see the one pocket that is sewn into the side seam...again, sturdy, sturdy fabric.

Some of the seams are french seams while others have been hand sewn in loops to keep them from fraying.

So questions:
    Decade? Is this 1930's or could it be as old as 1900-1910?
    Fabric?
    Are the sleeves Victorian? Edwardian? (I always get those confused.)
    Any other thoughts much appreciated.

:D
    Nina

File Mar 24, 6 53 53 PM.jpeg File Mar 24, 6 53 34 PM.jpeg File Mar 24, 6 53 08 PM.jpeg Hi all,

black snaps.png black back.png black nina.png
    IMG_6272.jpg black close.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. It looks Edwardian and it may have been altered?
    The blouse would have been tucked in with the ties keeping it in place.

NinaN likes this.
  3. NinaN

NinaN Registered Guest

When I bought it at the thrift store, it said that it was a 3 piece item, but only the skirt and top were included, so perhaps you're right. It's in amazing shape except for a tiny tear in the lace that's easily fixed. So 1900-1910 then? Any idea what kind of fabric? Like I said, it's super sturdy.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's wool and the bodice worn period correct should be tucked into the skirt, not over the waistband like a peplum. It's c. 1917 - those wide waistbands are typical of WW1 era skirts.

Joanne and NinaN like this.
  5. I agree with a WW1 dating for the style but the fabric and construction look more modern, so I think you have a costume, nicely made to look like the era. The reasons are because of the top stitched collar, and the general look which isn't as old as a century. It still has age, but maybe from the '50s.

It also looks like you have a pocket, so that should go at the side.

6. NinaN

NinaN Registered Guest

Thanks for replying all! Jonathan, I'm so embarrassed. I feel like I just put my bra on the outside of my top and and thought that it looked right. Yes, the top DOES get tucked in. I found another picture online of an extremely similar Edwardian walking suit that did it correctly.

Oops. You live and you learn I guess. Although it does look kinda cool the wrong way too...
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.42.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.47.04 PM.png

7. NinaN

NinaN Registered Guest

Oops. Yes, you're right. It needs to be tucked in. Thanks. Fixing faux pas now.