1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating vintage dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

hello all! came across this dress, can't quite tell when it was made / what decade the styling is based on. it appears to be handmade , seems like wool? any help would be much appreciated! wool.jpg

2. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Early. Great dress love the color.1960's

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Agree with 60s on this one. If you could provide more of a close-up that would help to id the fabric.

4. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

I was thinking 60's but wasn't 100%! What type of collar is that? Some additional photos :

dress_0002_Layer 3.jpg

IMG_0222.JPG

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Hi - it looks like wool or a wool blend. Could even be all synthetic. It's hard to say without feeling it or a burn test. The neckline is a scoop with a wide self bias band finish. Which has been extended down the faux front closure. All self fabric details - neckline, front edge, bow, knot buttons - were a popular finish on the 60s.

6. Agree with Hollis and MJ on date and fabric, although would be surprised if a summer dress was made of wool. More likely a rough weave rayon, I think but agree that a burn test is best here. As an aside, I test for wool by dampening a small bit: wet wool has a very distinctive smell and you can also pick up wool mixes that way.

Regarding the collar: it's a kind of bias cut roll but more of an external panel rather than separate collar. It's a little like a very wide and flat bias piping. I don't have an actual name for you though. It's more of a feature.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

About summer and wool... I have two Lanz dresses that are what the ladies when I was growing up called 'summer wool." it was 1/2 the weight of wool and have drape if that makes sense. They are an excellent transitional season garment. I wear mine a lot if I have to go where there's air blasting in the middle of the summer but they are my 'go to' early Spring and Fall too, just way too light for winter. I can try to grab a picture sometime... they are wool but a trippy 60s mod, almost tropical print.

8. Thanks Cin, you're quite right - we have a lot of summer weight wool here in Australia too, it's a wonderful material. I should have clarified: the fabric in this dress looks to be heavier but it may well be that it's not even a summer dress, it could be designed to be worn in winter with a jacket or cardigan.

I've got lots of '60s winter dresses with short sleeves. A last clarification: your location will dictate the heaviness of winter garments, in some places the weather is very mild and short sleeves or even sleeveless are common (again, also in Australia).

9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I'm getting ready to wear my summer wool... wish the weather agreed with me. ; )