1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Walborg purses?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by wire9vintage, Mar 4, 2010.

1. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

I am finding every date under the sun for Walborg purses with the label that I have, ranging from the 1950s to the 1980s. I'm thinking this is at least 1980s, right? The label reads Walborg, Hand beaded in Hong Kong.

My assumption is that labels from Belgium and West Germany are the oldest, and Hong Kong comes later. Safe assumption?

2. wire9vintage

And here is the purse:

3. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

:wub: ooh that is purty I would think 80's on that one

but I'm curious to see if anyone knows this particular brand well and can give you a more expert opinion

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Actually, I'd date your lovely purse to the 60s...

I'm no expert on Walborg purses, but I believe they outsourced their beadwork to whatever country was (affordably) at the top of their beading game at the time. That meant Europe into the mid 50s, and then a shift to the Far East.

Hong Kong was a hub for hand done beadwork in the 50s/60s (think of all those gorgeous hand-beaded cashmere cardies), and the short chain, frame purse style of your purse is right for that decade too.

The Bag Lady website has a great entry on Walborg, with more info, period ads, and examples:

http://bagladyemporium.com/BLU/index.php?n=Main.WalborgCorporation

5. wire9vintage

Curiouser and curiouser.... I must say, this purse looks like it was made yesterday, so if it is as old as the 1960s (or even the 1980s, for that matter!), it is amazing. And as one purse is described on the Bag Lady site (now firmly bookmarked on my computer!), there is nothing delicate about this little purse. It's sturdy and heavy, and there isn't a loose bead among the gazillion on here (even the bottom is fully beaded).

I was not familiar with this label when I found this purse yesterday, but I think it's now my favorite! I came across a couple of comments about those poodle purses, but had no idea what they could possibly look like! I was picturing pictures OF poodles, not actual poodles! Whoa!

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

A lovely purse & definitely 60s! Walborg purses are usually very high quality, and the various companies did amazing beadwork in HK.