1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you wear Vintage Eyeglasses? Any Pics?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by suzysparklesalot, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Hello,
    I have a thing for vintage cateye eyeglasses. I am thinking of buying a pair of vintage frames and having them made with my prescription.
    Anyone else wear vinatge frames, want to inspire me with pictures.
    What is the response from others when you wear them? I do have cateye sunglasses and I get lots of compliments on them.

Sue

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to see if I have any pics around, but my mom does the same. She always had a taste for "special" frames and one day she bought a vintage one and asked her optician if they could put her prescription glasses in there, which they did (it's a very good one). Hers are pretty much 50s frames, and some have a bit of a cateye shape too...
    And yes, she gets lots of compliments for them! So she's always on the lookout for nice vintage frames, especially as she needs separate glasses for reading, and she has prescription sunglasses too, so she needs enough frames ;).

Karin

3. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

I don't wear glasses but if I did I would definitely wear vintage ones.

There is a seller on etsy who has the best frames I have ever seen. I am thinking of buying a few pairs to turn into sunglasses.

I would love to see pics too!

4. I love vintage frames, especially cats eye but they just dont suit me. Personally I dont understand all the measurements and I have made a few mistakes buying on line. I prefer to go to antique fares and try them on. I love them on other people.

5. joules

joules VFG Member

Like Linda, I only wish I could wear that shape! I seem to do best with contemporary frames, and I like Lulu Guinness ones. Our member JulieW, wears the look really well, as I recall.
    Here are happy customer photos, wearing vintage Italian frames from my shop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

peaceful vintage likes this.
  6. JulieW

JulieW Alumni

7. joules

joules VFG Member

8. JulieW

JulieW Alumni

Thanks.
    I love those glasses. So much that I stopped wearing them around the house and wear my backup pair because I want those to last so I wear them when I go places.
    I do have a couple of pairs laying around that I keep meaning to get lens put into (I've got a great place here in Little Rock that does a wonderful job with vintage frames) but whenever I think about doing it I'm poor again.

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I wear vintage frame sunglasses. I need a slight magnification and have it put in. I've also found some wonderful vintage inspired glasses frames at the Deco Show in SF made by Allyn Scura in Sonoma. They have a website.

Here's a recent photo :
    [​IMG]

Linn

10. Yes! BUT, it seems most of my photo ops are outside so in most of my pictures of me I have sunglasses on. I did find these 2 though. The one where I'm skinnier is about 4 or 5 years ago and those were rhinestone frames from France that a client at the day spa that I managed had given to me. they were my favorite and I ended up loosing them somewhere.

The other photo was taken last summer and those were the ones I've been wearing over the last year or so....that is until I boxed up my Father's Day gift to my dad and accidentally shipped them off with his gift to Vermont, lol! I'll get those back next week I'm sure.

I've had many others over the years too but can't find pictures for them. I love cat-eyes and have finally figured out my size so I can order online too.

One thing to consider though, is that your optomitrist will not gaurantee the frame, so when they are heating and stretching the frame to insert the lenses, if the plastic breaks they will not offer a refund and will not be repsponsible. If this happens you will be out the total cost of the glasses and lenses. Of the 6 times I've had it done, this has only happened to me once, and was just 2 months ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm so jealous! You have the ideal face shape for cats!
    And how sad that you lost those rhinestone ones though. Do you know what brand they were?

12. Thanks Julie! I think they were a Quality frame from France. My client had picked them up in a flea market in Paris. I have another rhinestone frame from the same maker somewhere but haven't been able to find them....time to clean house!!

13. [​IMG]

You guys all look so cute in your vintage glasses. These are my cat eye glasses. I bought these frames from ebay and paid $300 to have them made into eyeglasses for everyday wear.
    I have to say I felt a little too noticable in them, so I took them back and had the lenses darkened for sunglasses.
    Now of course I love them and wish I would have left them alone.
    Thanks for all your posts keep em coming.,
    Now I think I need some for everyday wear, maybe with rhinestones
    This is me with my new short haircut.

Sue

14. joules

joules VFG Member

A great face deserves a great frame, as the L.A. Eyeworks motto goes. Those look terrific Sue! Not just anyone can rock the look and you can.

15. Sweetrockingal

Sweetrockingal Registered Guest

I am as blind as a bat and so I wear glasses everyday therefore they might as well be vintage and reflect my personality :) I love cateye glasses in my opinion Frame France is one of the best makers in cat eyes they even have some that are an extreme cateye that are usually known as butterfly wing frames. Those would be my black frames in the first picture :

[​IMG]

these gray frames are a lil more suttle (less pointy):

[​IMG]

I have a few other pairs but these are my favs can't go wrong with Frame France :excited:

16. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

You are all inspirations to find the perfect vintage glasses!! I broke my last pair and have been doing without for about 2 months now (my vision isn't THAT bad, but driving at night SUCKS!!)
    I really need to find a pair for everyday wear, and another for driving at night. And maybe a pair of prescription sunglasses ;)

Sweetrockingal -- Do I know you? Where are you located?

:)

17. I love vintage frames! I bought a few pairs on ebay but alas, my face is too large for them. I generally wear men's frames anyway, so settled for the ones in my icon, which are contemporary Paul Smith plastic frames.

But: two of the ladies who work for me wear '50s cats eye glasses - meet Carly and Esther.

[​IMG]

N

18. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I both wear and sell vintage frames - I have quite a collection. I always get many comments on my eyewear! Here's me in my catseye pair, which seems to be the only one I have pictures of me in.

I've always had them reglazed by mail order and never had problems.

Ruth

19. missproper

missproper Alumni

Wow, great pics ladies! Thanks for sharing! :)

20. Thanks everyone,
    You are a glamourous bunch!

Sue