D'oh Moment! Catalina Set?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Apr 9, 2017.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

I just got this Catalina sweater... AND SKIRT???

It has, not once, occurred to me that my cherished 40s Catalina sweaters had matching skirts.

The label (on sweater ) is most definitely 40s Catalina.

Does anyone have any idea when Catalina started matching the sweaters with skirts. I see plenty of 60s sets but I now wonder if my, say cherry Catalina sweater, had a matching skirt???

$_3-190.jpeg

$_3-161.jpeg

$_3-98.jpeg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

Are you sure it's a set Linda? Does it have the matching label? The colour seems slightly different to the red on the sweater, more orange-red than blue-red.

3. lindapoirier

No, I am not sure. I have to get it in the mail. However, I am sure they made sets in the 60s . There are a few on Etsy. They have matching tags.

It was "buy it now" so I didn't want to wait for answers ( maybe only one photo of tags because they were the same?)) from the seller. The sweater alone was worth the price. I think the only thing in the skirt is "14" for size. Which might be the way early sets went?

I will know the moment that I see them together. Those early sweaters have no match when it comes to quality. I assume the skirts would have similar knits and quality.

4. lindapoirier

Here are two examples of 60s labels. The skirt label different from sweater but are undeniably sets.

il_fullxfull.1117112019_3hus.jpeg

il_fullxfull.646258889_2hmk.jpeg

5. Circa Vintage

Yes, I've seen lots of '60s sets too but not '40s sets like yours. It's common for people to match items though, and store them together. I've just done a house clearance where there were many like this, but they weren't made to be together.

As you say, when you see it, you'll know. Photos don't give the full story.

6. lindapoirier

Sometimes one part of a set is worn more than the other, creating disparities.

In this photo it looks closer to a match.

$_3-170.jpeg

Here is the skirt size tag. Maybe that might help date? It may not even ne a Catalina skirt?

$_3-169.jpeg

foofoogal likes this.
  7. jazzbug

jazzbug Trade Member

If you have not already seen it, you may find this Catalina label resource page helpful:

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/catalina/

That size 14 tag looks newer than 1940s to me, but again, in person you probably will be able to gauge better. A size 14 in 1940s could have measured about 28" but bust and waist sizes were more commonly used than "size numbers" like 12 & 14 -- the size numbers were just beginning to be developed in the 1940s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Circa Vintage likes this.
  8. lindapoirier

Just got it. It is NOT catalina. In fact it isn't wool (skirt). I think it is a cotton/ polyester blend. Fleece. I say this because it is very similar feel (outside)to a vintage Lacoste track suit I have that I have always thought was 80s? EDIT. Label resource has same label in blue listed as 70s. So, maybe 70s.

20170410_171755.jpg

20170410_171935.jpg

The sweater although is well worth the skirt incongruity. Also, every single photograph I have seen of a 40s sweater has it pair with a simple skirt. Usually a simple A-line, with pockets.

EDIT. Waist, stretched, is 28 inches. Which puts in in 58? Hmm.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. Circa Vintage

Linda, waist sizes are not stretched - the stretch is to provide extra comfort. If you measure it unstretched too, and also the hips, you'll get a better idea. Length also helps.

If the two pieces have been worn together, it's probably a similar size to the cardigan.

jazzbug likes this.
  10. lindapoirier

Okay. Waist is about 27" and hips are 36". Length is 28" (there was an alteration - 4.5" hem that I took down but it is now unhemmed ). It looks like there was an original hem - about 1.5".

This washed amazingly well.

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

12. lindapoirier

It is the spilled selling spelt check on the phone. Edit. THANKS. I can't resist those 40s Catalina. SO gorgeous. I believe this one is driftwood? See it was supposed to be driftwood...dogwood.

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member